Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rushing on trail

Rushing on trail

I have a 4 month old HWV pup and if been doing some trail work only liver drags and skin drags, not moved onto scent shoes yet.

She is really capable and always gets there but I just find she charges around when on the long lead?

I'm wary of yanking her to much as I know she is only young and if I hold her back too much she just looses the trail and focuses on pulling around on the lead. But she walks to heel well on a normal lead and her general obedience is good.

How can I rectify this or will it just come with age?

Hi bez move onto shoes, once that tracking leash is on only good messages no negativity, don't yank the leash she is excited and knows whats coming, start to make the track real start on short grass if you have shoes use red, sika or fallow when you start have a small piece of skin you can walk in the shoes and just drop the skin every couple of feet at first then lessen the skin lots of praise at the end then let this sink in dont over do it or make her fed up you only want success for a young dog always, gradually make it a little more difficult by switching terrain but only a little at a time,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks for the advice i laid a short trail today with the shoes and using some Red Hooves and some blood from a hind the other week, only short say 50m and straight but she followed no problem and a little steadier.

Will leave it another week or so and then do another maybe a little more tricky. I get the feeling that she needs something a little harder to stimulate her and make her try hence slowing her down. Cautious of not sort of setting her up to fail though.
    Last edited by Bez; 09-01-2016 at 16:50.

exactly that Bez, what time scale did you lay the track before putting her on it?. lots of ways to up slowly ie longer time or rougher terrain, short grass is best at first to train a young dog because you start the process with bacteria/scent particles with the bruising of the grass it is locked in place and easier for the dog even in wet conditions, windy open areas are difficult and need leaving till you have the basics down, forestry with good soil under foot is good as well, keep away from dry beach area, again difficult for a young dog early on, atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

Only left it about 20 minutes so will use some of your advice to bring her on slowly maybe leave it an hour or so.

This was just along a hedge row in a short grass field so will take her to the local forest next time.

Keep to short grass and up the time to an hour this will steady her, at the end have a huge reward feed her not a little either all the time praise before feeding give a little treat and play with a skin don't be confrontational just let her grab and pull make it fun once you finish play feed, Atb wayne
    Last edited by mereside; 09-01-2016 at 18:37.

uksha
    or find us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Bez View Post
    Only left it about 20 minutes so will use some of your advice to bring her on slowly maybe leave it an hour or so.

This was just along a hedge row in a short grass field so will take her to the local forest next time.
    Change one thing at a time Bez.......listen to Wayne,100% correct advice

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

or find us on facebook

All of the above is correct. One thing I do which I'm fortunate to have is different types of land to lay trails. My teckels where getting to confident so I mix training up between grass land and woodlands like now when leafs have fallen and no grass. They get to confident on grass also lately I've decided to lay trails seasonal and likely around wheremim likely to cull a deer. No point as I see it laying scent trails where deer may never wonder. This way my dogs will be use to it more.
    Also mix it up be working in different weather conditions like try a trail in rain, against the wind which I've been doing for a while.

No deer around for a start,all later,same with differing terrain and conditions
    As Wayne says......always success......
    Keep it simple for a start,building it up and fit pieces into the jigsaw for the dog
    ATB
    George

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

or find us on facebook

all good, weeman just at the beginning with a dog new to this is to make sure you have 100% success and not have the goal post too difficult and the dog lose interest and fail this is paramount, once basics are nailed slowly up progression with more distraction and lay other trails over your own but you need a pup or new dog to stick to its track without much distraction initially, atb wayne ps too many people rush to get to 24 hr track and its not necessary and can easily ruin a dog.

uksha
    or find us on facebook