Sausage casings

jackfish

Now that I've taken the plunge and bought a burger press and sausage stuffer could anyone tell me what's the best sausage casings to buy when using roe deer to make sausages, new to this game so any help would be appreciated with which type of fat to add ratio etc etc.

Rgds

Bryan

I use a natural casing as opposed to the collagen ones, I normally add 20% to 30% pork belly for the fat content, however that's my taste. Have a play with different amounts and seasonings until you get a mix that suits your taste

As above I prefer natural casings but be careful and make sure you buy quality, soak them over night starting with warm water when cool put in the fridge, rinse in cold and run them out of a tub of cold water getting some water inside the skin before you start spooling and it wont split and suggest you start with thick casings 30mm ish until you get into it. Worked in the meat trade for many years and we always bought from https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/ They are quick with delivery and don't take your eyes out.You wont go far wrong with this outfit, their Royal venison season mix is spot on when 20% fatty pork is added (Belly pork is good) and if you like a bit more heat the Yorkshire traditional mix gets you sweating. Good Luck
T

As above I prefer natural casings but be careful and make sure you buy quality, soak them over night starting with warm water when cool put in the fridge, rinse in cold and run them out of a tub of cold water getting some water inside the skin before you start spooling and it wont split and suggest you start with thick casings 30mm ish until you get into it. Worked in the meat trade for many years and we always bought from https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/ They are quick with delivery and don't take your eyes out.You wont go far wrong with this outfit, their Royal venison season mix is spot on when 20% fatty pork is added (Belly pork is good) and if you like a bit more heat the Yorkshire traditional mix gets you sweating. Good Luck
T

These are who I used for all the equipment & mixes I bought. I'm glad I bought the Royal Venison now, some reason I forgot to buy casings. Will give the natural ones a go and will use 20% pork belly fat! Thanks for the info guys appreciate it.

ATB

Bryan

we get a few people coming into our farm shop,where im a butcher,asking for skins,try the sheep casings first,theyll give you a thinner sausage,or if you want slightly thicker sausages go for the hogg casings,ask your local butcher for a few of each...

personal recommendations is to get pre-spooled casings whenever possible, as you can then gauge how much to use with the available meat that you have.
I previously bought unspooled casings and ended up having to soak the whole lot just to untangle them resulting a load being binned as i ran out of filling.

also, with venison being so lean, i normally prefer hog casings to sheep, as the addition quantity of meat enables the sausage to retain its moisture better.

Back