Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Power Scopes..

4 Power Scopes..

Having sold the Scope and mounts off my lads LH Tikka, but still got the rifle,I thought I would give it an airing.
    I zeroed an old N.S. 4 power scope at the range on Sunday and took it out this morning at first light.
    Ha, Not so long ago I used to shoot everything with these scopes.
    How we are spoiled by the modern scopes at first and last light and on the range. I am sure there is a place for these scopes, but its not on top of my F.B.R...

Not many still make a 4x scope: Hawke, Swift and Leupold. A Swift 4x40mm with Schott glass is pretty bright, large field of view, and enough power for 300 yard shots - a good all-round scope.

I still use a 4x32 on a .22 LR, on an AR-15 and a Hensoldt 4x on an HK-91, with ranging reticle and ballistic turret.

Blog Entries
    I'm using a Swarovski 1.5-4x20 on my .300 Win Mag. Absolutely love it.

My Canadian chums all moistened over it.

Out to 100 Metres no muss no fuss.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

My fathers .270 has a 4x32 on it and has since the 70's

two of us shot scores in the 60-70's at 600yds with factory ammo!
    still works, just less counting hairs and ticks on the beasts

When I shoot out to 600yds I use my 8x56s&b. I also use it early and late. I suppose it's what your eyes get used too,a bit like wearing specs.
    I have four of these scopes I never use these days,two 40 two 32. Must check out next time I'm ate the range just how many use them these days. That's a long way for a 4x32,my eyes must be getting worn out.

Blog Entries
    I'm using mine on moving animals, shooting freehand. More magnification would make the job next to impossible.

Shooting on a range, prone. Lots better ways to do that.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    I'm using a Swarovski 1.5-4x20 on my .300 Win Mag. Absolutely love it.

My Canadian chums all moistened over it.

Out to 100 Metres no muss no fuss.
    As a Canadian , I must admit , that would go perfectly on a few of my rifles . I hunt in black timber quite a bit and the 1.5 X setting would just right , the 4 X would be plenty for the longer shots . I hunt with a Marlin 45/70 a lot and this scope would be ideal for that rifle . I'm envious .

AB

I carry quite a few 4X. My Brno 22LR sports one, my Siamese Mauser 45-70 has one, ny (soon to be Grandson's) custom 7x57 has one. OThere have them as well. My Tikkas all carry Zeiss 3-9X but I leave them at 3 or 4X. If they made a straight 4X I'd buy it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I carry quite a few 4X. My Brno 22LR sports one, my Siamese Mauser 45-70 has one, ny (soon to be Grandson's) custom 7x57 has one. OThere have them as well. My Tikkas all carry Zeiss 3-9X but I leave them at 3 or 4X. If they made a straight 4X I'd buy it.~Muir
    Yup , I currently have 4 fixed 4X mounted on rifles .There is a lot less to pick from these days in regards to fixed low power scopes . An old friend of mine likes to taunt me with an older 4X Zeiss he has . I don't know what year it was made , but it is a bright and rugged little unit . They do come up for sale around here occasionally , but they sell very quickly .

AB

I had a Mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5x54mm carbine with factory QR mounts and one of those little Zeiss 4x scopes. What a nice woods rifle that was ( is ). A friend has it now, took it to Africa and bagged antelope with it.

I was so tickled to find a Weaver El Paso steel tube 4x scope for a 1903 sporting rifle I was restoring, and sent it off for a complete rebuild for $25.00. Gotta like that!

The small variables are what I go for now, like the Burris 2-7x35, Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35mm, and the Leupold 3-9x33. I have a 1.25-4x22 Burris on a 7mm-08 carbine, and 30mm tube 1.25-4x German #1 and a 30mm 1.5-6x42 #4 for my .375 H&H ( huge field of view).