Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Any Ideas

  1. #1

    Any Ideas

    I went to the range today with two batches of home loads for my 30-06 180grn Sierra 2160 and 165grn Hornady 3045. Same size cases and cci primers used from same batch.
    The Sierras chambered and extracted without fault but the Hornady's failed to fire and then jammed in the breach after pushing the bolt in and out the little it did move the round went off after pulling the trigger again the case needed force to extract. Now this has to be a bullet problem but why ? Any ideas or is it my rifle does not like Hornady which has a cannelure ring that is showing above the case neck as the bullet would be seated way to low
    Cheers
    Nick

  2. #2
    Maybe the hornady's were seated too far out and touching the lands upon chambering, causing excessive pressures and case stretch?

    Your post isn't terribly clear. Did you have a misfire first, or just difficulty closing bolt?

  3. #3
    Did you seat them both to standard industry length, or the suggested overall length recommended in the bullet maker's manuals?

  4. #4
    It may be worth checking the length to the ogive on each of the rounds ?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Maybe the hornady's were seated too far out and touching the lands upon chambering, causing excessive pressures and case stretch?

    Your post isn't terribly clear. Did you have a misfire first, or just difficulty closing bolt?
    A misfire then pushed hard on the bolt a few times and the round went off but very hard to extract case

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Did you seat them both to standard industry length, or the suggested overall length recommended in the bullet maker's manuals?
    Set to overall length from Industry standard manual so both rounds were the same. Case 2.48 and AOCL 3.38

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sussexstalker View Post
    It may be worth checking the length to the ogive on each of the rounds ?
    What he says is the best bet.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sussexstalker View Post
    It may be worth checking the length to the ogive on each of the rounds ?
    Yes I understand. The one thing I am noticing is the Hornady is slightly plumper whereas the Sierra is more stream lined. I may try seat the Hornady a little further in

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bali View Post
    Set to overall length from Industry standard manual so both rounds were the same. Case 2.48 and AOCL 3.38
    3.34" is max standard COL.

    You've seated yours 1mm longer. I reckon the bullet is touching the lands. The reloading manuals will specify 3.3" or thereabouts.

  10. #10
    Yes but I seated a lose bullet and then backed off 20,000 to get to my max figure for my rifle,maybe bring it back more ?? but the Sierras OK ?

Similar Threads

  1. Any ideas.
    By 6.5/284matt in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-10-2012, 16:28
  2. Any ideas what this may be?
    By Daft Dog in forum Vets Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-04-2012, 13:22
  3. Any ideas what these are....?
    By Winkle in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-12-2011, 12:31
  4. Any ideas?
    By CRUMPY in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-11-2010, 21:39
  5. any ideas?
    By re'M'ington in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24-09-2008, 21:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •