Rabbit prices

Rangefinder

Just been round the local Gdn centre with the CinC Naval Home Cmnd and spied rabbits in clingfilm for the princely sum of £7.85kg :eek: :eek: :eek: and as a fully grown weighs about a kilo this was the cost each.

I sell em for 10 bob each to a man with a hawk :banghead: :doh:

When I pointed this out to her she just said "you ****!!!"

Just been round the local Gdn centre with the CinC Naval Home Cmnd and spied rabbits in clingfilm for the princely sum of £7.85kg :eek: :eek: :eek: and as a fully grown weighs about a kilo this was the cost each.

I sell em for 10 bob each to a man with a hawk :banghead: :doh:

When I pointed this out to her she just said "you ****!!!"
Ian, i expect the garden centre only paid 50p or a pound for them in the first place.
The butcher that used to have mine paid a quid a piece. (Ferreted or head shot) Then last year he wanted me to skin them and bag them still for a quid a piece.
Now the ferrets and my lurcher have some of them and i give the rest away.
basil.

Most of mine go free to my ex - who runs a bistro locally. Right now he can't afford to pay for them so I'm happy to stuff a few in his freezer every now and then. Small ones, jackets and heads go free to a friend with a hawk - again, he's a mate and has put me on some stalking with a friend of his, so I'm happy with the trade... :) A few I keep, and a few go to neighbours (keeps em happy)... But then, I don't shoot that many so I'm not too bothered about selling them. If I was getting dozens every week then I'd see what the local butchers & other outlets would pay...

We take full grown head shot to friends & family who ask for them, I feed the dogs weekend treats of cooked rabbit with pasta, (two or three braised ), the rest I'm sorry to say are either left for the raptors or the stripeys / foxes, seems like Joe public has lost the taste for them round here.

Willo game in Shrops is paying a quid a piece intact (guts in). They collect if it's over 100.

Cheers

G

I shoot around 30 a week and they go to a local butcher gutted for £1 a peice. I dont take the money- instead we exchange for meat out of the shop to the same value with a 10% discount! They all go down to London to Camden Market/Covent Garden Butchers. I walked through Covent garden recently and saw a filleted rabbit for £10 on a tray!!!

Incidently is it not against the law for butchers to take them skinned? I'm sure my bloke said something along those lines - in winter he takes deer off me, but only gutted - always in the skin...

Tom

Trumped you all! :D £2.50 per Rabbit, just paunched to a butcher. Or free to people I like, or £5 ready to cook to people I dont :evil:. Used to sell table ready pheasants to teachers at £5-£8 per bird depending on, again how much I liked them :)

Sam

We take full grown head shot to friends & family who ask for them, I feed the dogs weekend treats of cooked rabbit with pasta, (two or three braised ), the rest I'm sorry to say are either left for the raptors or the stripeys / foxes, seems like Joe public has lost the taste for them round here.

rabbits young and rabbits old
rabbits hot and rabbits cold
rabbits tender rabbits tough
thank you lord Ive had enough

While I appreciate they are a good food source I was brought up on the blxxxy things and can no longer face them.

middle men ,you gotta love them .

a BBQ and a nice cool display unit at the farmers markets .you could make enough for a nice hunting trip over the summer out of it

middle men ,you gotta love them .

a BBQ and a nice cool display unit at the farmers markets .you could make enough for a nice hunting trip over the summer out of it

We get a pound a piece, paunched & unskinned.

A couple of years ago we whacked enough to fund a weekend's stalking trip for us!!:D

Sam - £2.50?? You'd better hope that he doesn't read all these posts averaging a quid a pop; you'll have to cancel the order for the yacht....!;)

rabbits young and rabbits old
rabbits hot and rabbits cold
rabbits tender rabbits tough
thank you lord Ive had enough

While I appreciate they are a good food source I was brought up on the blxxxy things and can no longer face them.

My mother was the same. She didn't mind me shooting them, but she said that after living through the war and having to eat it all the time, she couldn't bear to touch it.

Just from interest, I thought I heard a statement from a survivalist somewhere, that there is little or no nutritional value in rabbits, & if that was all you had meat wise, you would not do well? what say you?

Just from interest, I thought I heard a statement from a survivalist somewhere, that there is little or no nutritional value in rabbits, & if that was all you had meat wise, you would not do well? what say you?

1) CHOLESTERAL level in rabbit meat is much lower than chicken, turkey, beef, pork. Rabbit 164mg, Chicken 220mg, Beef 230 mg, Pork 230 mg, Lamb 250mg. (Alabama A & M University 1989)
2) Rabbit is lower in % of FAT than chicken, turkey, beef,and pork.(U S D A)
3) UNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS is 63% of total fatty acids. ( Dr Reo)
4)Rabbit is highest in PROTEIN%(U S D A)
5) The office of home economics, state relations of the U S Department of Agriculture has made extensive tests and have stated that domestic rabbit meat is the most nutritious meat known to man.
6) Rabbit has been used and is suitable for special DIETS, such as those for heart disease patients, diets for the aged, low sodium diets, weight reduction diets, ect. ( Rabbit production Cheek Patton Templeton)
7) Rabbit has 795 CALORIES per pound. Chicken 810, Veal 840, Turkey 1190, Lamb 1420, Beef 1440, Pork 2050. ( U S D A)
8) Rabbit meat is all white meat.

Not quite as bad as they make out!!
basil.

Back