One for One Variation

2130martin

Devon and Cornwall Police change in procedure for One for One Variation.

Old procedure:-

Apply for Variation-
Receive a temporary certificate, usually 3 months, for the existing firearm and a slot for the new firearm.
Buy new firearm and dispose of old firearm inside of 3 months or apply for extension/variation.

New procedure:-

Dispose of old firearm
Apply for slot for new firearm.
Receive certificate with new slot.
Acquire new firearm.

D&C said they were told they couldn't do the old system any longer......

That seems far more restricting.

What do the rest of the country do?

Cant see that this is going to help the gun trade,they should be lobbying to get it sorted quick.

Martin

just been in to bushwear as I am thinking of changing my 308, was told the procedure is as you stated for "New Method" a 1 for 1 should be done in short time so not a problem to me

Cheers
Ray

Can't see why the gun trade would be lobbying for anything on this one. If the above is correct then all D&C are doing is bringing their 1-4-1 procedure into line with current HO Guidance etc.

What's the source of the info in the OP's post?

Just done one with the Met and I sold my rifle, sent FAC, got it back, bought new rifle, sent my FAC, got it back. Painful but at least it only takes about a week each time as they're pretty fast.

That was what I was advised to do even though the other method makes more sense. One alternative is to send FAC for a variation to add one extra slot, sell old rifle and buy new one upon its return and then send it back to update it. That will cost you £20 though as it's a variation, not a one-for-one.

Devon and Cornwall Police change in procedure for One for One Variation.

Old procedure:-

Apply for Variation-
Receive a temporary certificate, usually 3 months, for the existing firearm and a slot for the new firearm.
Buy new firearm and dispose of old firearm inside of 3 months or apply for extension/variation.

New procedure:-

Dispose of old firearm
Apply for slot for new firearm.
Receive certificate with new slot.
Acquire new firearm.

D&C said they were told they couldn't do the old system any longer......

That seems far more restricting.

What do the rest of the country do?

Cant see that this is going to help the gun trade,they should be lobbying to get it sorted quick.

Martin

What is the time taken for D&C to turn around a One for One Request ??
having a spare slot means you are not without a Rifle and once the old one is sold surely then you could apply for a One for One in a different calibre to keep a spare slot

Devon and Cornwall like were previously just trying to be helpful but it wasn't really how things should have been done and they have obviously been told that they need to get back into line. I have heard of a couple of forces previously operating such as system mainly in Scotland and it was done mainly to assist professional stalkers who could not be without one of tools of the trade.

Other than a glitch with my last renewal, (which was sorted out in a reasonable time frame once they realised their error), I've always found their turnaround times to be very good. As the FLD with the highest number of FAC/SGC in England & Wales to administer they've built an enviable reputation for running a tight ship.

just been in to bushwear as I am thinking of changing my 308, was told the procedure is as you stated for "New Method" a 1 for 1 should be done in short time so not a problem to me

Cheers
Ray

What if you want to sell your old firearm privately and it takes longer and in the mean time Bushwear sell the Firearm to someone else?

Can't see why the gun trade would be lobbying for anything on this one. If the above is correct then all D&C are doing is bringing their 1-4-1 procedure into line with current HO Guidance etc.

What's the source of the info in the OP's post?

If the gun trade have to wait for us to dispose of our rifles privately first they will miss out on sales,thats the concern my RFD has with it...

D&C quoted Home office guidance.

It has to be said that D&C are spot on with there service so this isn't a gripe about them,just the new system

Devon and Cornwall like were previously just trying to be helpful but it wasn't really how things should have been done and they have obviously been told that they need to get back into line. I have heard of a couple of forces previously operating such as system mainly in Scotland and it was done mainly to assist professional stalkers who could not be without one of tools of the trade.

Thats what they said,"being brought into line" and this thread confirms that.

I will shut up and stand in line,what you haven't had you don't miss but......

having a spare slot means you are not without a Rifle and once the old one is sold surely then you could apply for a One for One in a different calibre to keep a spare slot

Usually a week or less,as I said previously,I can't fault them.

What if you want to sell your old firearm privately and it takes longer and in the mean time Bushwear sell the Firearm to someone else?

bushwear is my local gunshop and if I put a deposit on a gun they would keep it till I was ready, probably wouldn't even have to put a deposit on it, they are a great company to deal with

Cheers
Ray

bushwear is my local gunshop and if I put a deposit on a gun they would keep it till I was ready, probably wouldn't even have to put a deposit on it, they are a great company to deal with

Cheers
Ray

I know what you mean.my local RFD is the same but they aren't all like that.

Northumbria have done the "New way" for as long as I've been asking for them, usual turn around is same week, three days is fastest I've had. The old method seems similar to "condition O", (I think) which was done in Scotland but I think thats been scrapped as well

Police Scotland have adopted the new way force wide in the last 12 months or so.

I applied for a 1 for 1 on my .243 a couple of weeks back. within a week my certificate was back with my current rifle & mod on it plus allowance to acquire another 243 and sound mod. my certificate is valid into 2017 so is not a temporary one as mentioned above. I just have to dispose of mine on acquisition of my new rifle which is now ordered. I can still use my current rifle. by far the easiest way. plus with computerised records these days its not as if one could buy another rifle and keep the old one as it should flag up.

I applied for a 1 for 1 on my .243 a couple of weeks back. within a week my certificate was back with my current rifle & mod on it plus allowance to acquire another 243 and sound mod. my certificate is valid into 2017 so is not a temporary one as mentioned above. I just have to dispose of mine on acquisition of my new rifle which is now ordered. I can still use my current rifle. by far the easiest way. plus with computerised records these days its not as if one could buy another rifle and keep the old one as it should flag up.

Where does it state that you must dispose of existing rifle?Is it listed in the conditions?
Thats what our temporary certificate used to do,it was authorisation to hold,not to use for usually three months.

Seemed a more user friendly system to me.

Back