Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: training a springer

training a springer

Im currently training my springer who is 10 months old, or should I say trying to train..He's really steady using dummy's which is great and will hopefully move onto rabbits soon. He's only going to be used to retrieve rabbits and then hopefully track deer.
    The problem I have with him is on the lead, he pulls like a train even with a slip lead. I would like to get him to walk nicely to heal and then progress to no lead so any advice would be nice

Cheers

Welcome to the world of springers!
    I trained mine by having a slip lead on but letting it trail on ground. Get the dog to walk along side you to heel, if he starts to move too far forward tread on the lead
    it worked with mine but they all are different

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    Welcome to the world of springers!
    I trained mine by having a slip lead on but letting it trail on ground. Get the dog to walk along side you to heel, if he starts to move too far forward tread on the lead
    it worked with mine but they all are different
    I wish I was at the stage where I could drop it ..I think he just likes to choke himself

Perhaps springer should of been an old hunting word for patiece!
    Keep at it though as when you do get it right they are one of the best dogs in the world but perhaps Im biased

My 6 month old springer bitch is starting to walk to heel on the lead nicely. I feed her her dinner one piece at a time from my left hand next to my left knee while simultaneously praising her and sayimg heel. I have also looped the slip lead round her nose and used training discs (trixie discs) shacking them at her when she gets ahead. I dont have to use discs or nose loop now. Also when I started lead walking her I changed direction when she pulled (sometimes we hardly got out of the drive. I also sometimes feed her her dinner walking round the kitchen and garden off the lead but from my left hand next to my left knee praising and saying heel and changing direction regularly.
    I want to be able to take her stalking so need her to be able to walk at heel off the lead and wait at the bottom of a high seat so just hsave to keep at it until it clicks.

Sounds like your not using the lead correctly. there should be plenty of videos on you tube. A slip lead should never be tight and is normally jerked to correct, but never left tight. Concentrate on the basics, sitting, staying, heeling, recalling. He's still very young, don't expect too much

I was told to pull the lead forward, towards the ears, if they start to move ahead. If you yank it back towards the shoulders they just pull harder in reaction.

Changing direction, as Pete states above, also means that you pull sideways and avoid pulling the lead back.

My youngster is much better at walking to heel off the lead. She starts to pull when we first go out but usually settles down after a couple of minutes of reminding. Part of my problem is that it is not only me that takes her out...does anybody have any tips as to how to train one's domestic partner?

Alan

a old trick is to "trip" the dog up-if it starts to get ahead of you just flick the leg nearest to you -gently mind- this will halt the dog it will soon learn after a few "trips" another old trick is tap its nose with a stick if it gets in front i have used these methods on 3 dogs and only for a few days they soon learn.

Blog Entries
    Good luck. We are about half way through training mine. 9 years in I'm still optimistic about her.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I have been a Springer man all my working life and all have passed off between 13 and 14 years and although all were good working dogs I would say neither has been fully trained ;-)
    They are such a joy to work with and never give up trying to please you even when fully exhausted.
    Good luck and it will pay you in the end, be strict, no I would use the word firm not strict, and all will work out eventually.