Which blaser?

Scots_stalker

i am thinking of doing away with a few rifles and getting a blaser , an R8 possibly,
although i am open to suggestions , would anybody like to post up pictures and reviews of their own blaser rifles ?

As a suggestion then

Personally I like turn bolts so I went with the Mauser M03 change barrel essentially the same as a blaser but turn bolt rather than straight pull

I use 6.5x55 and I couldn't be any happier with it and it breaks down easy enough and a perfect return to zero

Ok I'll bite.
My latest rifle is an R8 in 223. A pro success. Am intending to add aditional bigger calibre's with my renewal. Took a lot of humming and heying before I took plunge but every time I picked one up at a shop or show it just felt right for me. Extremely practical, used in all weathers I find it has great handling. After 18 months of use still well chuffed. Only downside is if I had bought it as my first rifle I may not have had the pleasure of owning some other fine rifles too.
Currently fettled with a NV scope.

Briar

Blaser R8 pro success in .308 , love it ,super accurate , nice to carry ,fantastic trigger, great stock . I just wish I had made the change years ago .

R8 Pro success L/H have had loads of other rifles before this , wish I had got it years ago , currently got a 257, and a 22/250 set up soon to have 308 as well :)

To confuse things then....

I have two R93's.

I can't say I love them, but that's because they are rifles. Rifles are tools to be used. I didn't love the Sako 75 I had before them either.

The Blasers are handy and reliable rifles. That was true for the Sako.

The Blasers break down into a compact package for taking abroad and can be put back together again without loss of zero. That wasn't true for the Sako.

The Blasers can be used by clients seemingly without the need to adjust zero. That also wasn't true for the Sako.

The Blasers are predictably accurate on factory ammo, to the point where I can no longer see any real need for home loading. That also wasn't true for the Sako,

I'd go so far as to say that the Blasers are boring. I just take them out of the cabinet, use them, and put them back.

My pleasure comes from watching deer and stalking them, not from fettling rifles, studying the finer details of ballistics, or messing about with homeloads.

Blasers suit me. You - and I am sure many others - might be different.

i have a blaser R8 with a 243, 308 and a 375 barrel. its never let me down and if i damaged it i would buy another in a flash.

I also have Blaser`s in R8 pro success models in 223 , 6.5-47 , 6.5-284 and 7mm08 cant recommend them highly enough .
Swillington`s shooting supplies would be a good place to start with honest advice and sensible prices.

I have 2 a R93 pro success in .270 and a R8 GRS with a .243 and a7mm barrel nice to use and do what's required very accurate with factory ammo.

I'd go so far as to say that the Blasers are boring. I just take them out of the cabinet, use them, and put them back.

that is pretty much my experience as well, some might remember the target I posted on this forum where I shot, I think, 7 different bullets in 8 different loads at the same target and the group size (20 rounds I think it was) was about what I'd expect to shoot in the field with a singe load. My r93 simply shoots where I point it and is a very practical rifle to own and use. This doesn't seem like a big deal until you own one and then you'd simply not be bothered with all the messing about and mumbo jumbo that is talked about "my rifle only shoots one load well" and "it took me months to get a load my rifle liked" and such other excuses for having bought into bad engineering.

However if your hobby is rifles and load development and so on then I do think you would soon get fed up with the blaser but as a practical tool for going stalking I've yet to see anything to beat it.

+1 for Willie Gunn

I have an R93....which surprisingly hasn't self destructed into my face in almost 10 years!

I use it with a .22-250, .243, 6.5 x 55 and a 9.3 x 62....the 6mm girly round and the 6.5 doing the bulk of the deer work

It's great! Its a gun. It's a workhorse. It gets wet, muddy, knocked, scraped and then cleaned, dried, oiled and put away. It has barrels on, barrels off . It wears a Swaro, a Zeiss or a Vortex. It works from 60-600 yrds with a few clicks and tweaks.......gets fed on factory and home loads... all sub moa

and best of all for the purists it is finished in Mossy Oak Realtree camo!! Classy !! :cool:

I've got an R8 pro if I were to buy again I'd go pro success.

The idea behind getting the Blaser for myself wasn't so much ease to breakdown and travel it was versatility.

So with the stock, safety and trigger you've got muscle memory, instead of picking up a different rifle each time for a different job and at that last minute getting flustered and stumbling with the safety for example potentially costing you the animal one rifle one set up.

Also you can go out stalking and as it gets dark you fancy going out after a fox, you just pop the scope off and pop the NV on.

Very versatile tools like marmite you love it or hate it...

There are other switch barrel offerings out there and let's face it the only contenders are Mauser and Sauer.

Back