Electronic scales

kevin01041961

Hi , guys got a few pound to spend, i want to get one of the powder scales that measure and trickle once the weight has been placed in ie Lyman RCBS , i've looked and the Sprtsman centre has a few but which one, they are all over £200 + so want to make the best purchace, ive reloaded for years with the beam type and spoons with the powder trickeler but just fancy trying one, with them not being cheap which one and why?

Thanks

Don't bother with the cheaper scales they can be frustrating if the compensating feature isn't quick. Putting powder in and having to wait while the scales faff about is maddening. Also some scientific micro scales are so sensitive you can't even breathe in their direction.
Personally I only use the electronic scales to check my beam balance scales before loading a batch.

gem pro 250,because they register every single kernel,have a lifetime guarantee i think, and then i still check on balance because i'm sad lol.

If the scales in my bathroom are anything to go by, I would never trust anything electronic.

Beam scales. Treat it like the precision instrument it is and your grand kids will be using it long after you are gone with utmost confidence.~Muir

have you considered the hornady? I've had one for several years now and it works well.
The lyman had a limitation of needing to change baffles when you change powder types, don't know if that's still the case.
RCBS good but hellish expensive and there is a super top end one whose name escapes me.

All of them behave differently with ball, stick, long stick, disk type powders.
I use Viht across the board and it meters well.

Really depends how much you shoot.

Unlike everyone else........I use Lyman electronic scales, they are within a 10th of a grain, gently breathing near them makes more difference than that, and I can load about 100 primed rounds in an hour, I let the scales measure, then seat and measure as the auto reapeat gets the next load ready. I tend to do mainly target shooting so go through a lot of rounds, so a beam scale would take me forever ! Im not the best shot in the world, but i in put 6 v's on the trot with a 223 at 300meters, which surprised me! and all with hand( electronic) loads .

I went from beam scales and trickler to gempro 250 now I've gone back to beam scales and a target master. This combo is the way forward for me! I get a hand weighed charge every time that's uber fast

Got the Lyman powder measure auto scales set them up and checked them repeatedly for an hour and they were bang on every time the repeat function is fantastic, I still use beam scales to check every so often, even tried putting a loaded pan back on to see if it would throw another load, but it doesnt

Ray

I'd go with the majority here - beam scales. Never tried the Targetmaster but it looks good. Another factor to consider with the electronic scales - I understand that they are temperature-sensitive, so if you're banished to the garage to do your reloading (like me!) you might have an issue this time of year...

I went from beam scales and trickler to gempro 250 now I've gone back to beam scales and a target master. This combo is the way forward for me! I get a hand weighed charge every time that's uber fast

Ditto (more or less):

I bought some RCBS 304 Beam Scales when I first started reloading and it took an age to load up 50 cases so bought a RCBS Charge Master - setup permanently on a marble base in the dining room (we never use our dining room) so the temperature is pretty consistent and no drafts. I found it would wonder and become eratic after an hour or so of use by about .2gr.

So I serviced the 304's myself and bought a Target Master Trickler and use a cheap web cam and a laptop to enlarge the scale pointers - all set up level on the marble in the dining room. Works ridiculously consistently every time even though the Target Master is not recommended for use with the 304.

Sold the Charge Master.

My current setup can load 50 cases in an hour and a bit; the Charge Master was faster but not as reliable. Never tried the Lymans equivalent.

I "borrow" the certificated check weights from work (1, 2 & 5g) on a monthly basis to check the 304 and its never been out - ever.

Knowing this when I started reloading could have saved me a few quid as I took a £50 hit on the Charge Master which was only 2 months old.

Buy yourself a GEMPRO 250.You wont be disappointed and a lot more accurate than Lyman,Hornady and Rcbs..

I Use the RCBS charge master 1500 with great success, and check about every 10th load on the beam. I have never found it to wander, but do keep a good eye as with long kernal powders it can throw the odd overweight, which it shows, but doesn't beep, so it can be easy to not see its overweight. Has really sped up loading and is essential for all my hunting ammo and .38/.357 U/L comp stuff. I use it for my .284, but do tickle the charge if not spot on.
If you really want dead accuracy, use it to throw.2-.5 low then trickle the last bit in by hand.

Recommended!

Back