Avoid Hunter Balmoral wellies

deerpath

No wonder Pridge is selling their pair of Hunter Balmoral wellies on here. They are ill fitting product. Although the correct size for me and a snug fit when on, they are just ridiculously too tight getting on and off at the ankle. Leather lined @ £200 and unused but they were bought over 30 days ago so no exchange from retailer and Hunters after care service should be renamed Noaftercare ! AVOID

Both my wife and I had hunter wellies some years ago, after a couple of months they fell to bits. We found there customer care useless, they didnt want to know. We would never buy again

I've just replaced my Le Chameau wellies with a pair of Toggi Wanderer Plus from Uttings. Neoprene lined and under £80 delivered.

Hunters have a cr*p reputation nowadays so they never even made it onto the short list. I bought Aigle first, but by mistake I hadn't ordered neoprene, and they are £150, which is back into Le Chameau territory

Just opened the box on a GENUINE pair of LC Chasseurs i bought 10 years ago before they went bad. Hunters were bowf even when they were made in Dumfries.

well I've had a neo pair of balmorals for just over a yr and apart from the side buckle breaking they've been warm and waterproof and we ve had as wet a shooting season as ever worn on every home and away day as well as stalking far better than the last pair of Le cham
Norma

Hunter wellies are a poor Chinese product and as with all failures - take them back to your retailer as your beef is with them directly. Bought my wife some at a garden centre who have now replaced 3 pairs and will continue to, if they continue to fail. I have Aigles, neoprene - should have gone for 9 and a halfs, as a bit tight but otherwise brilliant. Tried le Chameaux but eventually got fed up of the tops lolling over and my foot wandering about even with 2 layers on (soft sides). Wouldnt buy Le Chameaux again.

Sounds to me like you just bought a pair of boots that don't fit? Hardly their fault if they don't fit your feet/ankles, and surely not their fault that you haven't tried them on for over 30 days?
I wouldn't buy any boots unless I can try them on first and have a walk around. Most shops won't refund after a certain period and are not actually obliged to at all unless there is a fault with their product which it doesn't sound like there is? Hardly justification to slate their product surely?
MS

Last edited:
A guy that picks up for me got his wife some hunter wellies, fell to bits, got a letter back saying hunter wellies are a "fashion" brand and not for serious use!!!

I've just replaced my Le Chameau wellies with a pair of Toggi Wanderer Plus from Uttings. Neoprene lined and under £80 delivered.

Hunters have a cr*p reputation nowadays so they never even made it onto the short list. I bought Aigle first, but by mistake I hadn't ordered neoprene, and they are £150, which is back into Le Chameau territory

Amazon have the Aigle Parcours Iso (neoprene) for under £115 , best price that I have seen them for

My last (and final) pair of Hunter Balmoral's lasted less than a season. I've gone back to Toggi now; the previous ones went on for years (can't remember how many) and were cheaper and a lot more comfortable.

Last edited:
They're all as bad as each other it seems. Muck boots do it for me, although they don't look as posh as Hunters or Le Chemeau. But even they aren't perfect.

I had Hunter forty years ago. When the soles cracked I bought black Dunlop wellies.

Now, thirty years later, still on my second pair of (green) Dunlop wellies. Like David Cameron's I noted on TV!

If they are good enough for "enfieldspares" then they are good enough for the Prime Minister!

Sounds to me like you just bought a pair of boots that don't fit? Hardly their fault if they don't fit your feet/ankles, and surely not their fault that you haven't tried them on for over 30 days?
I wouldn't buy any boots unless I can try them on first and have a walk around. Most shops won't refund after a certain period and are not actually obliged to at all unless there is a fault with their product which it doesn't sound like there is? Hardly justification to slate their product surely?
MS

I bought the Aigles as a size 9 which fits me, as with le Chameau and tried them before I left the shop. Both characteristics mentioned therefore, to me at least, seem to reflect product distinctness. I'm not asking you to change brand, merely recording my valid observations. You might try being a little more constructive - have you bought le Chameaux's ?

I bought the Aigles as a size 9 which fits me, as with le Chameau and tried them before I left the shop. Both characteristics mentioned therefore, to me at least, seem to reflect product distinctness. I'm not asking you to change brand, merely recording my valid observations. You might try being a little more constructive - have you bought le Chameaux's ?

I wear le chams! I just thought the OP was being a bit unfair in the circumstances! Buying a pair of boots that don't fit is hardly the fault of the boot maker! My last pair of Vierznords lasted about 13 years of constant use. The new ones are certainly a different fit but seem to be coping quite well. I believe they are made in Turkey now and not expected to last as long. Time will tell.
MS

Last edited:
Back