Thread: batteries

batteries

I've just been to the post office to post a parcel to someone and the guy behind the counter asked were there any batteries in it, no I replied
    Never thought of asking till I got home but can you not post things with batteries in ? If not how do you buy them on line and get them posted to your home ?
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Had the same thing happen me yesterday and when I asked why, he said that they couldn't be lying lose because of health and safety but that it was ok if they were in the device I was posting��.

It's lithium batteries they're supposedly worried about (although most PO staff wouldn't know a lithium battery from any other kind of battery)
    It's simpler to say no to the question even if there are batteries in the package - (coz the whole thing's a load of crap)

Cheers

Bruce

I find it very intrusive when the PO staff ask whats in your parcel, frankly its none of their business, however you are at their mercy refuse to divulge the contents and your parcel wont get posted!

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean223 View Post
    Had the same thing happen me yesterday and when I asked why, he said that they couldn't be lying lose because of health and safety but that it was ok if they were in the device I was posting��.
    I bought 128 Duracell AA from Ebay and they were delivered very loose, in pairs, in a box.

It's lithium ion batteries as if they are pierced and the internals allowed to mix then they will ignite (have a look on YouTube). If they're in the item then they're (considered) protected but if loose then the risk of them being damaged and causing a fire is deemed too high.

Thanks for the help guys
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I find it very intrusive when the PO staff ask whats in your parcel, frankly its none of their business, however you are at their mercy refuse to divulge the contents and your parcel wont get posted!

Ian.
    Actually it is their business, they are a carrier and as such are legally required to ensure that they comply with regulations, such as the carriage of dangerous good by road. As stated the biggest problem has been lithium ion, which are supposed to packaged in such a fashion that the packaging is twice the volume of the goods and marked with the relevant DG symbols.

Best advice is don't be paranoid there is a reason they are asking - they have to by law and give a generic answer eg, documents, tools, metal parts, etc.

It's more than just batteries, there are lots of items you cannot send, take a look:

Prohibited goods – items you can’t send through the post. | Royal Mail Group Ltd

There's also a long list of restricted goods:

A comprehensive guide to all restrictions that apply to items sent by Royal Mail. | Royal Mail Group Ltd
    Historic Guns & Militaria - based in South Bedfordshire - Historic Guns Militaria