Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: casting bullets lymans #2

  1. #1

    casting bullets lymans #2

    Hi Anyone casting bullets for centerfire rifles?
    Want to start casting for my 7.62 x39 but just can't find lyman #2 alloy or alternative in UK. I'm considering trying to alloy my own with 90% lead 5% antinomy 5% tin but not sure how safe or easy this might be.

    Any input would be really appreciated.

    I've ordered a NOE 129grn .314 bullet mold from USA to be sized down to .312
    and will be getting an RCBS lube-a-matic lube a sizing press.

    Best

    John

  2. #2
    I'd size them to .314"
    I use range waste with about 20% linotype added and drop the boolits into cold water (don't get any in the pot).
    Gas checks are essential and so is good lube (I use White Labels Carnauba lube) and you'll be best to use Accurate 5744 powder (now Lovex D060)
    The RCBS luber is the best for rifle boolits - I have 3 (bit greedy I know).
    pm me if you get stuck finding lube or linotype

  3. #3
    Have not cast as yet but it has been something that I wanted to do. Bought some equipment long time back but then had nowhere to cast lead after moving into a flat.

    Now according to some US cast bullets sites #2 alloy is near impossible to ghe but you can blend a suitable lead alloy for your cast bullets. Cast Boolits is one such site you will get lots of help there should you go and register. The Cast Bullet Assocaition is another.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Have not cast as yet but it has been something that I wanted to do. Bought some equipment long time back but then had nowhere to cast lead after moving into a flat.

    Now according to some US cast bullets sites #2 alloy is near impossible to ghe but you can blend a suitable lead alloy for your cast bullets. Cast Boolits is one such site you will get lots of help there should you go and register. The Cast Bullet Assocaition is another.
    Cast Boolits

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I'd size them to .314"
    I use range waste with about 20% linotype added and drop the boolits into cold water (don't get any in the pot).
    Gas checks are essential and so is good lube (I use White Labels Carnauba lube) and you'll be best to use Accurate 5744 powder (now Lovex D060)
    The RCBS luber is the best for rifle boolits - I have 3 (bit greedy I know).
    pm me if you get stuck finding lube or linotype
    I agree. Size those bullets .314 inches.

    As to the RCBS being the best? No. The Saeco is the best tho the dies are expensive. I have one and really like it. That said, I have a Lyman #45, a Lyman #450, and an RCBS as well. The latter three get used the most as it is easy for me to make custom sizing dies for them. I must have 30 different lubing/sizing dies.~Muir

  6. #6
    Thanks yes having trouble finding Linotype ad lube any sources would be appreciated.
    thanks for powder advice. .314 then. Any advise on where to get molds for that sizing would be good.
    Many thanks
    John

  7. #7
    now thats does look like a better bit of engineering

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by john762 View Post
    Thanks yes having trouble finding Linotype ad lube any sources would be appreciated.
    thanks for powder advice. .314 then. Any advise on where to get molds for that sizing would be good.
    Many thanks
    John
    Quick web search found this place..


    http://www.northernsmelters.com.au/contact-us.html

    Never used them but they show just what you need. For Lube well brownells UK have lube to fit the lubrisizers. Noticed it when looking at the price of moulds.

  9. #9
    Thanks but think shipping from Australia might be a bit much
    J

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by john762 View Post
    now thats does look like a better bit of engineering
    That SAECO is nice but every cast bullet match I've won has been with bullets processed in a Lyman 450!

    Lyman makes sizer dies. Lee makes a push through die that produced very concentric bullet but sizes only. No Lubrication: .314 is one of the sizes they make. What rifle??~Muir

Similar Threads

  1. Casting bullets can you use them for Deer??
    By Wordsalad in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 18-02-2015, 21:29
  2. late casting
    By Double four in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-05-2013, 09:41
  3. Casting my own bullets
    By NorthDorset in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 01:46
  4. About to try casting
    By harrygrey382 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 17:18
  5. Thinking about casting bullets.
    By finnbear270 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 02:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •