casting bullets lymans #2

john762

Hi Anyone casting bullets for centerfire rifles?
Want to start casting for my 7.62 x39 but just can't find lyman #2 alloy or alternative in UK. I'm considering trying to alloy my own with 90% lead 5% antinomy 5% tin but not sure how safe or easy this might be.

Any input would be really appreciated.

I've ordered a NOE 129grn .314 bullet mold from USA to be sized down to .312
and will be getting an RCBS lube-a-matic lube a sizing press.

Best

John

I'd size them to .314"
I use range waste with about 20% linotype added and drop the boolits into cold water (don't get any in the pot).
Gas checks are essential and so is good lube (I use White Labels Carnauba lube) and you'll be best to use Accurate 5744 powder (now Lovex D060)
The RCBS luber is the best for rifle boolits - I have 3 (bit greedy I know).
pm me if you get stuck finding lube or linotype

Have not cast as yet but it has been something that I wanted to do. Bought some equipment long time back but then had nowhere to cast lead after moving into a flat.

Now according to some US cast bullets sites #2 alloy is near impossible to ghe but you can blend a suitable lead alloy for your cast bullets. Cast Boolits is one such site you will get lots of help there should you go and register. The Cast Bullet Assocaition is another.

Have not cast as yet but it has been something that I wanted to do. Bought some equipment long time back but then had nowhere to cast lead after moving into a flat.

Now according to some US cast bullets sites #2 alloy is near impossible to ghe but you can blend a suitable lead alloy for your cast bullets. Cast Boolits is one such site you will get lots of help there should you go and register. The Cast Bullet Assocaition is another.
Cast Boolits

I'd size them to .314"
I use range waste with about 20% linotype added and drop the boolits into cold water (don't get any in the pot).
Gas checks are essential and so is good lube (I use White Labels Carnauba lube) and you'll be best to use Accurate 5744 powder (now Lovex D060)
The RCBS luber is the best for rifle boolits - I have 3 (bit greedy I know).
pm me if you get stuck finding lube or linotype

I agree. Size those bullets .314 inches.

As to the RCBS being the best? No. The Saeco is the best tho the dies are expensive. I have one and really like it. That said, I have a Lyman #45, a Lyman #450, and an RCBS as well. The latter three get used the most as it is easy for me to make custom sizing dies for them. I must have 30 different lubing/sizing dies.~Muir
756252.jpg

Thanks yes having trouble finding Linotype ad lube any sources would be appreciated.
thanks for powder advice. .314 then. Any advise on where to get molds for that sizing would be good.
Many thanks
John

Thanks yes having trouble finding Linotype ad lube any sources would be appreciated.
thanks for powder advice. .314 then. Any advise on where to get molds for that sizing would be good.
Many thanks
John

Quick web search found this place..

http://www.northernsmelters.com.au/contact-us.html

Never used them but they show just what you need. For Lube well brownells UK have lube to fit the lubrisizers. Noticed it when looking at the price of moulds.

now thats does look like a better bit of engineering
That SAECO is nice but every cast bullet match I've won has been with bullets processed in a Lyman 450!

Lyman makes sizer dies. Lee makes a push through die that produced very concentric bullet but sizes only. No Lubrication: .314 is one of the sizes they make. What rifle??~Muir

I'm envious. I once hesitated on a 2nd hand CZ Carbine in 7.62x39 and I have always regretted missing it. They are not too common here and jealously kept by their owners. A consolation is the 300 Blackout I'm shooting. Similar ballistics but with a .308" groove. With the 1:9 twist you've got I'd be playing with the heavier bullets. .314 should work nicely.~Muir

When I used to cast my own bullets I used to use 9lb of lead to 1lb of 50/50 bar solder that I got from plumbers, then drop them into cold water. I was told that was Lyman 2 type lead, it was good in my 30-30 with a gas check.

There is a 'pig pen' (it looks like grid for a noughts and crosses game) method of recreating the lead alloy you want. The older Lyman manuals had it. You put in one 'pen' what you want an the others what you have and somehow use it work out the propotion of each of what you have needs to be used.

I think other sources may call it an apothecary's 'pig pen' or 'grid'? But yes you can work out what gives Lyman #2 from using lead, solder, tin and etc and mix it. The Lyman manuals explain how it works.

Casting your own Lymans#2 is easy and safe, Lymans#2 is as you stated 90% lead 5%tin and 5% antimony, if you follow a few precautions get yourself a small camping gas stove, one that sits flat , not the ones with the screw in gass cartridge ( to easy to tip these over) an old pot , and ingot moulds I use lymans moulds , also a metal ladel if you are making ingots clean up 9 kilo of scrap lead by melting then add a little beeswax this will bring the scum to the top just scrape this off and dump it, once your lead is clean add in 1/2 kilo of pure tin, this melts in no problem then add 1/2 kilo of pure antimony, this does not melt in it dissolves so keep stirring till it mixes properly, once it is all mixed in you are ready to either cast bullets or ingots, I tend to cast the ingots for use later
Remeber this must be done in a well ventilated Dry area , I always wear welders (fireproof ) coveralls leather gloves and a full face shield, even a small drop of water can send molten lead all over the place, so keep water away at all cost
Happy casting
Ray

Last edited:
Back