Thread: Shotgun stock stained - Help!

Shotgun stock stained - Help!

Hi.
    I bought a 20 bore for a treat to myself this year. Anyway it was a bit short in the stock so before I had a proper butt pad fitted to extend the stock I bought a 15mm and 25mm slip on rubber pad to see which suited me best. Anyway. After a couple of months I have now removed it to find I has stained the stock. As you can imagine I am very angry about this but does anyone know how I can remedy it. There I quite a obvious mark on the stock which makes it look as if I've put a 3" stock extension on in dark wood. All help greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

Refinish the wood is really the only way to properly fix it.
    I've never had to use a stock extender thankfully, many have, and many have had the same problem.
    If you have to use one, then fit it when gun is in use, and then remove it as soon as shooting is over for the day.

Neil.

As Neil said remove it ASAP. I use a rubber butt pad extender when using the Archer. When I first got it I left it on for a week, the result was as the OP described. I oiled it for weeks and eventually got it back to normal but it took a long time. Not quite sure why it happens though.

To start with I would do nothing for a few weeks.Assuming it is some form of plasticiser that has leached from the 'rubber' there is every chance that it will partially sink further in and evaporate off. Then I am with Old keeper, London gunstock finish or similar, applied over time will correct the discolouration.

atb

Geoff

My only concern is that is if I start adding the London oil finish it will make the stained wood darker as well as the normal stock colour. Do I need to just add it to the I stained part of the stock.
    Cheers for the comments so far.

I'd try cleaning it with mentholated spirit then re oil once clean. Be very careful and test an area first you don't want to take all the finish off you may also need to use some fine wire wool
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Established Poster
    I wouldn't do anything for a couple of months, with luck you may find it rectifies itself, especially if out in daylight

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire lad View Post
    My only concern is that is if I start adding the London oil finish it will make the stained wood darker as well as the normal stock colour. Do I need to just add it to the I stained part of the stock.
    Cheers for the comments so far.
    I did mine with a turps/linseed mix and kept it to the discoloured area. I took a while but it's fine now.