What Wellis to get

depends also on your budget.

I have had the Toggi wanderer plus for a couple of years no and they have served me well with no complaints. I recently treated myself to a pair of Aigle Parcours ISO 2 and so far think they are also great but cost a lot more.

the toggis are great value.

on a slightly less ££££££££££££ note, i'm living in a pair of neoprene-lined wellies by fashion clothier 'Tayberry'. they cost about £60 three years ago, and put up with a 2 mile walk in woods/scrub every day, and i've done many much longer walks (8 miles or so...) up proper hills in Snowdonia and Scotland with the boots feeling as confortable and supportive as decent Meindl walking boots.

now, Tayberry no longer produce this boot, but it looks like the mould has gone to at least one other manufacturer/retailer - Cotswold Grange - the boot looks exactly the same as mine, but as i've not seen one in the flesh i can't say if the materials are the same...

I recommend Muck Boots ( Tay model )
They are a no frills, hard wearing, comfortable welly boots and have great ankle support and ridgidity, ideal for stalking, beating on the Fells etc. They have normal wellies, plus an Artic Winter fleece lined, warmer boot.
Plus, you can buy two pairs of Muck boots for the price of one Parcours.
The Parcours do not have enough ankle support imo.
+1 I agree totally.

I have been using neoprene Aigles, the same pair for years, these have performed flawlessly in wet New forest areas. Hard wearing, comfortable and quiet.

Don't hesitate to get a second pair without neoprene. For most activities wich involve a lot of walking in mild temperatures they are simply perfect. Last sunday, when judging a trial, my neoprene lined parcours where just to warm. For general roughshooting and beating there is no need for neoprene.

+1 for the Aigle Parcours 2 ISO, Just bought my dad a pair for his birthday after been so impressed with my pair. He must be chuffed with them as he only got them yesterday and was up at first thing to go and walk across the Westwood in them! I have 2 mates that swear by them too one does a lot of deer stalking in them, the other game shoots and beats in them. I have big calf's so I may when replacing these get the full zip model but the current pair are very very comfortable

Had a pair of Muck boot Tays about five years now. Most comfortable and warmest wellie I've ever had apart from some Eiger fishermans wellies which had removable foil/wool liners.
They are a bit too warm in summer though and wet grip is poor. The soles are splitting away from the uppers now though they're still waterproof. Not a bad boot but for similar money I'm minded to give the Toggis a go.

I have a pair of Muckboots cost me 45 and they are surprisingly warm for a "made in the peoples republic of" product.
Martin

Back