Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How big larder fridge to hang fallow in?

How big larder fridge to hang fallow in?

Hi guys,

The title says it all really, but is a larder fridge suitable to hang a fallow in? I know that depends on how big a specimen is but but what would the minimum internal dimensions need to be roughly.

Thanks

Sorry it's not a larder fridge, it's a drinks chiller, if you want the dimensions i will measure it tomorrow.
    This was a fair sized Fallow but i had a red calf in it last week which was a lot bigger!

Cheers
    Richard

I did a post a good while back showing how you can hang a 300lb larder weight red stag in a chiller less than 2m tall.
    Normal fridges are ok, but it is easier with some kind of hoist or if you can get in there with it. Trying to hang 40+kg animals at arms length is not easy and you'll end up hurting yourself.
    Have a look here for some ideas;
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...rder+solutions
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Trying to hang 40+kg animals at arms length is not easy and you'll end up hurting yourself.
    You are absolutely correct MS!
    Cheers
    Richard

Yes Richard, I would appreciate some dimensions. That deer looks pretty long. my idea of a 1.5mtr fridge with internal dimension 0f 1.29 mtr high x (.05mtr x 0.45mtr)is not going to be long enough looking at your picture. I was thinking head removed and hung as high up as possible.
    MS, that's an impressive system and a very good point. I'll rig up an external rail, so I can get a straight lift and then run the hooks in.
    Any idea on approx hung length of fallow, once legs removed from 1st joint to base of neck.

Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    Yes Richard, I would appreciate some dimensions. That deer looks pretty long. my idea of a 1.5mtr fridge with internal dimension 0f 1.29 mtr high x (.05mtr x 0.45mtr)is not going to be long enough looking at your picture. I was thinking head removed and hung as high up as possible.
    MS, that's an impressive system and a very good point. I'll rig up an external rail, so I can get a straight lift and then run the hooks in.
    Any idea on approx hung length of fallow, once legs removed from 1st joint to base of neck.

Thanks Guys

I use a 7ft high chiller fridge which does the job. I wouldn't want anything less than that

Make sure its a top moter fridge so the floor is as low as poss

On pro fridges like the Foster ones you can remove the internal ceiling and get a bit more space. Takeing the wheels off lowers the unit and you can usualy drill and tap the stailess walls to fit a bar without dammaging the fridgey bit.
    Last edited by Chasey; 11-01-2016 at 08:14.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post

Thanks Guys
    Hi mate.
    A decent fallow pricket will be about 1.5m long when stretched out - head and legs off. However, that is only if you hang it like that! If you look closely at the huge red in my link above, you will see that it is hung from the pelvic (aitch) bone. On an animal that size it creates about another 18 -24 inches of hanging height as the back legs then fold down. I've heard that some dealers don't like them hung like this as the haunch meat sets at a different angle, but I've never come across this or noticed any difference when butchering. It also rules out splitting the pelvic bone which I'm not a fan of anyway as it exposes and wastes a lot of meat and doesn't seem to give any real advantage to cooling above tunnelling the back end out?
    Richard also shows a typical example (sorry Richard!) of how much valuable space is often wasted at the top of the fridge. The rail needs to be low enough to get a hook over, then there's the length of the hook and then a long gambrel all wastes space! A lifting eye on a cable up through the roof to a hoist is very effective and will save your back! If you use a bar/rail, keep it high so that you can just feed the 'S' hook over it almost sideways. Get some very short 'S' hooks made up. Get some of the gambrels that are almost a straight bar with just a couple of shallow notches in. Just doing that alone can give you a lot more height, and in Richards photo would have that animal off the floor easily with its head removed. But then, if you look at his photo again and see where the pelvic bone is, it is only about half way up the fridge! Hang it from that and you have it suspended even with the head still on!!
    Hope this helps.
    MS

MS is right that 'fixings' will reduce the internal height available. On the other hand it's a *big* help when it's late and you're tired to have a safe winching and hanging system that won't let you down.

Ours is an 8' x 8' pre-fab from Andy Tarrant that will take up to 10 well-spaced fallow, which I spec'd with the accent on ease, safety and reliability.

Not that cheap, but well built and very easy to keep clean, so should go on forever. And the fact that it's modular means that if you move house (as I did last year) it can be moved and re-built inside a new garage/shed as a 2-man job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chiller.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	65296
    Last edited by Old-YOP; 11-01-2016 at 12:55.

That looks very nice!
    How do you transfer the animal from the hoist hook to the rail though?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    That looks very nice!
    How do you transfer the animal from the hoist hook to the rail though?
    MS
    It's mostly a two-man carry straight in and onto a hook.

Solo for a heavy beast, the strop on the winch goes round the body below the pelvis to lift the carcass off the truck, leaving the back legs / gambrel free to poke through the door and hook up.

Practice makes ... manageable :-)