Thread: Teal

Teal

I have several ponds,that I can fly my Falcon over,it does have mallard been feeding it for 2 seasons now.
    I am told by the local keeper that they used to have a lot of teal,on them.
    I am now flying a male peregrine who would struggle to take mallard due to size.
    How can I encourage teal back to the ponds.
    Thanks guys for any info.
    Tony.

teal love rapeseed ! good luck with the tercel
    PS around here the teal spend the day on the reservoir and come to the ponds at last knocks not much good for you
    Norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 10-01-2016 at 18:39.

Thanks Norma the tiercel is going really well apart from lay offs due to the weather,my put down partridge are getting harder to find, so, would like to show him some teal.
    Can I buy large bags of rape seed?
    Tone.

You should be able to buy bags of rape seed. Ask wherever you get your wheat/barley. If they don't have any they'll likely know where to get some. Haven't had any for a good while, but my recollection was that it's a bit more expensive than wheat or barley.

My experience too is that teal don't usually come in until it's pretty much dark.

We usually have teal sit on one of our ponds all day and know of plenty other ponds that teal sit on in big numbers.
    Generally teal like very undisturbed ponds even with a lot of tree cover round edges.
    Hardly had any teal or ducks on the pond this year, been very very poor, even the big shoot where i pick up on duck flights has been very poor this year

Possibly a stupid question, but wot is the law flying falcons on teal on the foreshore? Know slighltly different in scotland as in theory anyone can shoot below high tide line (apat from local restrictions).

On a slight tangent how do u stop a falcon chasing/catching something its not meant to, if an oystercatcher got up at same time as a teal?

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post

On a slight tangent how do u stop a falcon chasing/catching something its not meant to, if an oystercatcher got up at same time as a teal?
    Simple answer is that you can't. Your argument if challenged/prosecuted would be that you were not actively pursuing that species. May be worth following the game law doctrine when you kill over the boundary and leave it where killed.

You try to train them not to fly check, but if a variety of birds get up then it cant always be guaranteed
    Last edited by Mickeydredd; 10-01-2016 at 21:22.