Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winter gloves

winter gloves

Having just thrown away a pair of allegedly water proof gloves that completely soaked through just walking around in a light snow storm, I'm looking for a decent pair.

What would people recommend? I'm not to worried about warm, but really want something that stays waterproof - or holds warmth when wet.

Sealskinz with the leather palms are good - not too thick and reasonably warm. Frustratingly just lost one of mine so will have to cough up the money for a new pair.

Have a look at the heat 3 smart gloves

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Sealskinz with the leather palms are good - not too thick and reasonably warm. Frustratingly just lost one of mine so will have to cough up the money for a new pair.
    +1 I use them all year round in winter just slip a pair of thin running liner gloves underneath just to keep the trigger finger from getting cold

Millet Mits, had a pair when I was a teenager, the wife got me a pair for my birthday, still fantastic! Not at all waterproof but being wool they're still warm when soaked through.

Re : Winter gloves -

I am not sure exactly if the following gloves will suit your purpose,

I use MacWets a lot, they are excellent gloves, comfy, but not waterproof, not Winter warm, but they help keep the windchill away.

I also use Narrona Finnskogens ( goretex ) and i have a pair of the sealskin shooting gloves.

I suppose in the UK,
    " Winter " gloves, will not be like the ' Winter ' gloves needed in say Alaska !
    As -5 / -10 * will feel like Summer, compared to -45* !!

It's a case of finding out what glove suits your needs, based on touch sensitivity, feel, thickness, warmth, waterproofness and cost.

Good luck with your search.
    ATB.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    I agree. These are fantastic, not too thick that you loose the use of your fingers but completely waterproof and comfy!! Certainly worth a look.

Sealskinz hunter with leather palms
    Quote Originally Posted by hairlesshunter View Post
    +1 I use them all year round in winter just slip a pair of thin running liner gloves underneath just to keep the trigger finger from getting cold

^this!

thought I had lost mine but just found them again
    Sadly my 2.50 decathlon special liners have gone walkabout due to child so will have to replace those

I find them excellent, no leaks as yet and have paddled around in peat bogs and been on hands and knees numerous times
    dry slowly and treat leather when dry to keep supple

Quote Originally Posted by hairlesshunter View Post
    That is exactly what i did with mine, i think my liners are Merino wool.
    Cheers
    Richard

Seems there's a fairly clear consensus - thanks folks!