Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving a dog in the day

Leaving a dog in the day

Now Im getting this new house sorted Im ready for a dog to trash it

Im considering getting a deer dog and was looking at a Visla to be mainly a pet and occasional deer dog. The trouble is it will be left for quite a few hours in the day. Ive read recently that the Visla is not ideal to be left at all, the other option could be a GWP but Im a little apprehensive as it will be the first dog Ive trained.

Anyone any experience/advice?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Can you build a kennel in the garden and leave it there when you are out

When we're out there's a radio on for the dogs. They seem to like Radio 4.

If the dogs are left for more then 4 or 5 hours then we get a dogwalker in.

A Kong is a good idea too - pack it full of food, pop it in the freezer, give one to each dog and it will keep the dogs occupied for a good hour.

my gwp is in a kennel in the garden but as free run of the garden she loves it x

My dogs are in a kennel/run in the garden if there's noboyhome for more than an hour or two. Neither is destructive or prone to peeing, etc, but it gives me peace of mind and I'm sure they'd rather be outside with the smells and sights than cooped up in 4 walls.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Now Im getting this new house sorted Im ready for a dog to trash it

Im considering getting a deer dog and was looking at a Visla to be mainly a pet and occasional deer dog. The trouble is it will be left for quite a few hours in the day. Ive read recently that the Visla is not ideal to be left at all, the other option could be a GWP but Im a little apprehensive as it will be the first dog Ive trained.

Anyone any experience/advice?
    Hello 'bk'. If you do not have a LOT of time to spare, I should be inclined to steer well clear of an 'out and out', dedicated 'deer-dog'!! They 'NEED WORK'! i think you would be best advised to go for a more bidable, placid natured dog, especially as this would be your first venture into dog training. You may end up ruining the both of you if you buy one of the more head-strong variety. A labrador may be a better first choice, and would make a good family dog/pet too. There are one or two good 'cross-breeds' you may consider, something with labrador in it!
    As regards leaving the dog/s alone, I've always left mine having 'free rein' around the property. They are trained to respect the boundry, and even if the gate is left open, they will not cross that 'invisible line'. My dogs have always been able to be left alone without them causing problems. We have neigbhours so we would know

if they 'created a fuss/noise' if we're not home. I'm not saying we leave them for days, obviously, but for hours certainly. While I understand allowing your dog/s
    'free-rein' is not suited for everyone, I just never like the idea of having my dogs cooped-up in a 'run' with concrete under their feet. I just think they are happier for
    being able to wander around the garden and yard.
    I could recommend a good book......'The Roughshooters Dog', by Michael Brander. He does not make training a dog a 'science'! Of course, much of what I've said is down to training, the best of luck with whatever you decide and enjoy it!
    Regards,

'camodog'.

BK
    Ive a Wirehaired Vizsla and he's absolutely fine in the kennel all day if left, I give him a butchers bone or a Roe leg and that keeps him occupied for a few hours, he gets free run of the back yard when we are at home and he can't settle if indoors at all. They are a lovely breed very biddable, make sure you go for a reputable breeder though. Good luck!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Black lab? Happy to be left, happy to see you, rarely destructive and some of the best scent hounds in the world (I am biased) just ask the Customs guys.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Black lab? Happy to be left, happy to see you, rarely destructive and some of the best scent hounds in the world (I am biased) just ask the Customs guys.
    +1 on the black lab. A good one it will fit the bill nicely. My first will not be my last. He finds all my deer whether he needs to or not. Great watching the tail wag when he's having his first lick.

Quote Originally Posted by camodog View Post
    Hello 'bk'. If you do not have a LOT of time to spare, I should be inclined to steer well clear of an 'out and out', dedicated 'deer-dog'!! They 'NEED WORK'! i think you would be best advised to go for a more bidable, placid natured dog, especially as this would be your first venture into dog training. You may end up ruining the both of you if you buy one of the more head-strong variety. A labrador may be a better first choice, and would make a good family dog/pet too. There are one or two good 'cross-breeds' you may consider, something with labrador in it!
    As regards leaving the dog/s alone, I've always left mine having 'free rein' around the property. They are trained to respect the boundry, and even if the gate is left open, they will not cross that 'invisible line'. My dogs have always been able to be left alone without them causing problems. We have neigbhours so we would know

if they 'created a fuss/noise' if we're not home. I'm not saying we leave them for days, obviously, but for hours certainly. While I understand allowing your dog/s
    'free-rein' is not suited for everyone, I just never like the idea of having my dogs cooped-up in a 'run' with concrete under their feet. I just think they are happier for
    being able to wander around the garden and yard.
    I could recommend a good book......'The Roughshooters Dog', by Michael Brander. He does not make training a dog a 'science'! Of course, much of what I've said is down to training, the best of luck with whatever you decide and enjoy it!
    Regards,

'camodog'.
    What he said! Would probably go for something a bit more placid out of the box for a first venture into training, especially if left in the house. I leave mine for up to 4 hours max and no more. She could probably cope but it just doesn't seem right.