Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 69grn Siera TMK load developement

69grn Siera TMK load developement

At last I have got a box of the the new 69 grn TMK which I hope will prove to be a deadly fox bullet. My .223 is 1:8 26 " so now have to develope a load, I have plenty of powders including lots of Varget!!

Is anybody on here using them and could post some pointers. I would run through Quik load but my PC has died.

Thanks

D

It's a target bullet with a plastic snout instead of a meplat i.e. not designed to expand reliably and not classed as an expanding bullet - let's not get into the Amax debate.

26" 1:8 will have no issue with it or the SMK - N140 or varget or similar.
    There is loads of data out for the SMK - and this is the same bullet.

it's for foxes milligan , no debate unless your bored and want to stir up **** ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    It's a target bullet with a plastic snout instead of a meplat i.e. not designed to expand reliably and not classed as an expanding bullet - let's not get into the Amax debate.

26" 1:8 will have no issue with it or the SMK - N140 or varget or similar.
    There is loads of data out for the SMK - and this is the same bullet.
    Just like a BT or Vmax or SST with no meplat

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Just like a BT or Vmax or SST with no meplat
    The jackets are different enough for the manufacturers and the regulators to label and treat them differently and there is a question about using non-expanding ammo on live anything.

The point is that SMK/TMK won't behave consistently on impact and that may mean glancing more easily than a varmint bullet.
    I sincerely doubt there will be a jot of difference in performance between the TMK and SMK and while you "can" use it on fox, there are better things to use.

And for the record I added something useful to the post in terms of load data. You on the other hand didn't.

TMK expands , well the 77gr one does at 223 velocities anyway
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

All,

Well when I get a load I let you know. I don't want to get into the a max/vmax debate but as I have a 1:8 even a 60grn v max is marginal in mine so thats why this new TMK may be the answer. The foxing guru uses 69 grn SMK but they run with a v max they dont so it could be the TMK may have better expansion qualities might also be v good on Munties. Until I get a load sorted we not going to know, so if anybody has loaded them for accuracy thats all I need to know.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    All,

Well when I get a load I let you know. I don't want to get into the a max/vmax debate but as I have a 1:8 even a 60grn v max is marginal in mine so thats why this new TMK may be the answer. The foxing guru uses 69 grn SMK but they run with a v max they dont so it could be the TMK may have better expansion qualities might also be v good on Munties. Until I get a load sorted we not going to know, so if anybody has loaded them for accuracy thats all I need to know.

D
    My load 24.2gr N140, CCI primer, 1.903" to the ogive. Exactly the same as my SMK load.
    Nosler custom brass. Gave half MOA accuracy at 200yds out of a 22" 1:8 Sako 75.

As always work up safely.

However it actually behaves aside this is a match bullet, sold as a match bullet.
    It is not a S5 bullet in the context of the firearms or deer acts.
    To shoot a deer with it would be illegal.

For Fox a better bullet may be the 63gr SMP, it's a flat base with a good bearing surface and is varmint bullet.
    For deer the 65gr Gameking is a better bet.

Bit from Sierra's site
    "While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing and Tipped MatchKing bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing and Tipped MatchKing bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varmintercounterparts."

I use the 77gr TMK in my 22-250, they are one the most explosive bullets I have ever used and one of the most accurate as well. I have shot a serious amount of foxes with them now with zero problems, make your own mind up.

Win, win

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
    I use the 77gr TMK in my 22-250, they are one the most explosive bullets I have ever used and one of the most accurate as well. I have shot a serious amount of foxes with them now with zero problems, make your own mind up.

Win, win
    Sounds good. Out of interest, what twist is the barrel on your 22-250?