Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i go about getting dsc 2 portfolio done

How do i go about getting dsc 2 portfolio done

This may have been asked a million times, but, after completing my DSC1 last year, I would like to try and get my DSC2 under my belt. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated from the "guys on the ground" so to speak rather than just books and the internet.

Here's hoping.

Dom
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

Simply put you register and pay the fee, they then send you a portfolio.
    you then have to stalk, cull, gralloch, transport and larder deer in the presence of an AW. This must be done to a good enough standard to meet the level 2 criteria and it must all be done 3 times.

do you have your own ground or would you be going out with an AW on their ground?

I will have to find an AW and their land etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dom8328 View Post
    That's the way I did it, and it can be expensive.

its well worth finding someone who has a high density of deer on their ground (you'll possibly pay more for a day there but it will be well worth it if you get an animal or two culled)!

This may have been asked a million times, but, after completing my DSC1 last year, I would like to try and get my DSC2 under my belt. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated from the "guys on the ground" so to speak rather than just books and the internet.

Here's hoping.

Dom
    Dom. Beware hearsay. DMQ - FAQ about DSC1 amp DSC2 If the FAQ aren't clear, phone up DMQ and ask to speak to Mandy Short. Regards JCS

Both the BDS and Jelen can arrange for you to go on qualifying deer park culls. It helps if you gain experience first, particularly with the gralloching, if you can volunteer your services on a deer farm cull you will find it very useful.
    atb Tim

I have my own ground with quite a few muntjac and the odd roe so i asked the nearest AW to me and he was over 60 miles away to take me through my portfolio, he wanted 100 a day plus expenses and 50 per beast to write up my portfolio, as most of us now you don't always connect every time you go out so I did a quick calculation that assuming I managed 1 beast a day that would be a minimum of 450 plus expenses ouch. Being a member of the BDS I enquired into their dsc2 scheme, I seem to remember it cost 525 all in. It is set in a 1000 acre park full of every breed of deer known ( easy I thought ) it wasn't easy as you seemed to bump deer you don't need in order to get the deer you do .I didn't quite manage to do it in 1 day so had to take the next morning to complete it . I found it very good value and it got it all out of the way very quickly so when you get the telephone call about your portfolio its still fresh in your mind. Well done BDS .

Quote Originally Posted by rutland View Post
    I have my own ground with quite a few muntjac and the odd roe so i asked the nearest AW to me and he was over 60 miles away to take me through my portfolio, he wanted 100 a day plus expenses and 50 per beast to write up my portfolio, as most of us now you don't always connect every time you go out so I did a quick calculation that assuming I managed 1 beast a day that would be a minimum of 450 plus expenses ouch. Being a member of the BDS I enquired into their dsc2 scheme, I seem to remember it cost 525 all in. It is set in a 1000 acre park full of every breed of deer known ( easy I thought ) it wasn't easy as you seemed to bump deer you don't need in order to get the deer you do .I didn't quite manage to do it in 1 day so had to take the next morning to complete it . I found it very good value and it got it all out of the way very quickly so when you get the telephone call about your portfolio its still fresh in your mind. Well done BDS .
    rutland. Thanks for sharing your experiences. DSC2 Regards JCS

Gents,

Many thanks for all of the help and advice. Suppose i better start saving for the summer and get it done ASAP.

Dom

If you want to try with the BDS you have to watch their website for the dates and be quick as they get snapped up very quick, they also do a video which is very good its done by a very stern looking ex RSM and guess who greeted me on my arrival, I started to shake straight away and declared my wife has just brought me a very nice swing blade knife with a nylon and plastic sheath but it didn't have washable plastic insert can I use it his reply was well whats the answer to that , after lots of big hole digging and sweating he replied don't put it away dirty , I got my own back on him as we crawled 150 meters through grass and thistles and he had to follow. He really was a very nice bloke that knows his stuff. good luck