Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help protect bass stocks - sign the petition

Help protect bass stocks - sign the petition

Petition calling on the government to ban gill netting during the close season to protect bass stocks.

The European union have done their best to reverse the damage done to the bass fish stocks, yet the UK government has decided to ignore the basic facts and allow gill netting to continue.

Gill netting should also be prohibited during the closed season. A single gill nett can wipe out hundreds of fish in one swoop, so how can this be acceptable? It makes a mockery of the restrictions placed on recreational anglers.

The current restrictions on recreational anglers should also be in place on commercial activities.

Sign the petition here The decision to water down the recent European decision on the bass stocks - Petitions

Signed and emailed to a few mates.

Well. Hasn't this been well thought out. Well done to the creator of the petition.

So we ban Gill netting all together... Does that mean it is still legal to land and sell Bass caught by other means?

Oh no wait, lets ban the landing and sale of bass all together... But then waht do those people who have to make a living from fishing do then? I know... They can target another species, but argh they have to catch those pesky Bass they aren't aloud to land and throw them back dead so that they can catch and sell the species they can land.

Just like the cod ban of a few years back, stopping commercial fisherman from landing a species of fish or using a specific method doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    Well. Hasn't this been well thought out. Well done to the creator of the petition.

So we ban Gill netting all together... Does that mean it is still legal to land and sell Bass caught by other means?

Oh no wait, lets ban the landing and sale of bass all together... But then waht do those people who have to make a living from fishing do then? I know... They can target another species, but argh they have to catch those pesky Bass they aren't aloud to land and throw them back dead so that they can catch and sell the species they can land.

Just like the cod ban of a few years back, stopping commercial fisherman from landing a species of fish or using a specific method doesn't work.
    Who said anything about banning gill netting altogether - other than you Jubnut? Perhaps if we introduce some conservation measures we can return to the days when big bass were relatively common. As I am sure you are aware Bass are a very slow growing fish and populations can and do suffer from over exploitation - minimum size limits and closed seasons seem entirely sensible.

Other than gill netting for salmon and seatrout (which I think is illegal almost everywhere nowadays - for conservation reasons) I can't think of many other species you would be targeting to accidentally catch bass - so no by catch issue like cod which you mention.

As for not working, the recovery of Striped Bass in North America would say different.

signed
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Who said anything about banning gill netting altogether - other than you Jubnut? Perhaps if we introduce some conservation measures we can return to the days when big bass were relatively common. As I am sure you are aware Bass are a very slow growing fish and populations can and do suffer from over exploitation - minimum size limits and closed seasons seem entirely sensible.

Other than gill netting for salmon and seatrout (which I think is illegal almost everywhere nowadays - for conservation reasons) I can't think of many other species you would be targeting to accidentally catch bass - so no by catch issue like cod which you mention.

As for not working, the recovery of Striped Bass in North America would say different.
    I would just direct you to the very first words on the petition you just signed.

Petition calling on the government to ban gill netting during the close season to protect bass stocks.

I am sorry but I read that as the aim of this petition being banning gill netting.

So. Like I said. If gill netting Is banned from say April until August does that mean I can use trammel nets? Trawl? Seine net? I'll still catch bass...

Okay. Lets stop people landing Bass during those months, in an estuary I might target mullet, i'll still catch bass, at sea or estuary I might target Dover sole, i'll still catch bass. Around here I might go after spring cod... Guess what... I'll still catch bass.

All those bass I can't land what do I do with them?

Commercial fishermen still have to earn a living and still have to catch fish, banning one method or species doesn't mean that species won't still be getting caught.

I don't know what the solution is but in my opinion this is not it.

I won't be signing this petition as I don't believe it will do any good.