Simmons whitetail classic 3.5-10 x50

J0RD4N

Just wanting to know if anyone has had and experience with this scope.
Thinking about getting one for my .17hmr.
Or even if you could recommend a good scope to go with the hmr.

I have one. Was on a .22-250 for a long time and superseded by a Nightforce but it never missed a beat. Held zero, surprisingly good under the lamp. Struggled at last light but was a decent option. Would be on my .22 if the rear sight did foul the front bell

I have a Simmons WTC 3.5-10x which came on a .22 LR of a 95-year-old man, who could no longer get on with iron sights, hunting right up to his passing. It is not a bad scope. I have put it on several rifles as the first scope, to check out loads. It just came off a 7mm-08, which now wears a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm Ballistic Plex.

I don't know what size scope you want, but most .17 HMR rifles are on the small side, so a huge scope would seem to mess up the balance. A Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40mm with BDC reticle is pretty trim and light weight, better than most 3-9x40mm. To my eye, the next step up is the Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 AO with BPlex reticle or E1 reticle, which has wind hold-offs, as well. The Votex reticle is a copy of the FFII BDC. Search for how the stadia match up to yardage for the .17 HMR; it is pretty good.
burris-bplex-22lr-17hmr.gif

Last edited:
not bad for the money and far better than this MTC crud,

I like them but as I use left and right to shoot I cant use one as it does not have a fast eye focus ? one of the pit falls when you have a short sighted eye and a long sighted eye. :(

bob.

The original scope made in the 1980's came with coin slot turret adjusters and the glass was fantastic. The Chinese copies about now have thumb and finger adjusters and the glass is crap.

It does have a fast diopter focus. Mine is not new, so perhaps they have changed.

I have never ever seen a wtc with a fast eye focus, yes it has a focus adjustable eye bell,but not a fast eye focus ring, I have had old and new wtc scopes both the 3:5/10x50 and the 6/20x50.

As below,this is a fast eye focus,

bob

and the wtc, as below does not?

Last edited:
My old Simmons has fast focus just like that. I will have to take a close look at it for a model number. I suspect it is pretty old, but very clear and works great.

When I get to my drawer of scopes this weekend, I will snap a photo of it. Mine may not be a WTC, but some other Simmons model.

Last edited:
I have one. Was on a .22-250 for a long time and superseded by a Nightforce but it never missed a beat. Held zero, surprisingly good under the lamp. Struggled at last light but was a decent option. Would be on my .22 if the rear sight did foul the front bell

Very happy with them. I have three WTC 1 x40mm and two X 50mm. 12 years, 10 years and 5 years old. Two on air rifles one on the rim fire.

I am surprised you found they struggled at last light. They always used to market them as having an extra half hour advantage at dusk. I have tried them side by side against the newer (and ten times more expensive) Swarovski Z4i which is on my centre fire and certainly found much less than half an hour difference. The main advantage of the Z4i is the thin reticule and the illumination.

The original scope made in the 1980's came with coin slot turret adjusters and the glass was fantastic. The Chinese copies about now have thumb and finger adjusters and the glass is crap.

All mine have "made in Philipines" on them, but two have the knurled wheels and one has the coin slot. I was lead to believe that there were some counterfeit ones purporting to be the earlier Philipines construction on the market. I was told one of mine, (bought off here) was bought new in the last 4 years so maybe they have switched production back to the Philipines. It certainly does not seem to be any different in quality to the others.

Alan

I've got a 6-20x50 on my HMR and it's a cracking scope - fares well when compared to much more expensive stuff and I've never felt the need to upgrade it.

It might be just my eyes but I looked through one and liked it, thinking .222, but bought one and couldn't see the clarity?

Have a small AETEC 3.8-12 x 44 and love it? Does exactly what's said on the box.

Last edited:
Back