Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covering a T8?

Covering a T8?

Gents,

Bought a secondhand rifle with a T8 that was wrapped in camp tape. The tape looks tatty and I have tried to take it off, but it has left a sticky residue on the mod which looks worse than the tape and will attract no end of crud.

Anyone got any ideas (without re-taping) that will cover up the marks on the mod from tape/light rust and general life?

I have read about people using shrink tubing or inner tube but not sure what size and how to go about getting it on there, simple for someone I am sure but its beating me!

Cheers.

Can't u use one of the camo neoprene covers that are available for a t8 stalkers uk sell them and many other places

or sand it down and spray it black with VHT paint

A neoprene cover works well,eliminates the ting noise after firing and will cover up the marks you mention

SD Regular
    Nail varnish remover or Acetone (can be bought at the Chemist) should degrease the sticky residue - actually, try WD40 as well if it's more to hand. Then, as said neoprene covers are readily available, and the best option IMO for a cover.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I wouldn't cover with anything that can't be removed so you can check the welds etc, WD40 might remove the residue or try lemon juice. Bushwear still sell a neoprene cover I think, but its the length of the old T8 so needs trimmed.

Carb or Brake cleaner for cars would remove the glue left behind and leave it clean ready for a new application or a cover.

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Gents,

Bought a secondhand rifle with a T8 that was wrapped in camp tape. The tape looks tatty and I have tried to take it off, but it has left a sticky residue on the mod which looks worse than the tape and will attract no end of crud.

Anyone got any ideas (without re-taping) that will cover up the marks on the mod from tape/light rust and general life?

I have read about people using shrink tubing or inner tube but not sure what size and how to go about getting it on there, simple for someone I am sure but its beating me!

Cheers.
    Nib it off with some dry flat 180>320> Scotch Brite a can of exhaust matt black or gloss...

With any thing going over then damp will get under...

I have sliver soldered a couple of T8's for people with pin holes in them. Nibbed them off, warmed them up with the hot air gun and put a few coats on from a can.

It is just a tube with a hole through the middle...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I agree with Tim. I painted mine in this way and it's fine 2 years later. You can top it up at any point.

Thanks guys I'll have a go at cleaning tonight and probably order a one of the covers from Bushwear, I think this is an old T8 anyway so should fit without cutting.

Regards,

Karl

Ha, I'm literally doing the same thing right now, my old T8 was covered in camo tape too, took it off, and there's tons of old glue residue left, so, a spray with WD40 , that softens it, and now using those green kitchen scourers on it, hard work, but it's coming off, then it will be painted with Airfix Matt Black...and then a coat of Airfix enamel varnish... If its good enough for my Spitfire, it'll do my T8....