Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missfire !

Missfire !

I was stalking yesterday as I fired a shot . I heard the firing pin click and then the round fired , the report of the shot sounded different . I was firing my home loaded 6.5x55 . Subsequent shots fired correctly . Any thoughts ?

Chill

Light load, or faulty primer. I do hope you checked the bore was clear before any subsequent shots
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Did the odd sounding shot hit what you were aiming at?

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    I was stalking yesterday as I fired a shot . I heard the firing pin click and then the round fired , the report of the shot sounded different . I was firing my home loaded 6.5x55 . Subsequent shots fired correctly . Any thoughts ?
    Did the bullet impact where you expected(?) and if the shot was at a deer, how did the bullet perform?

After I had heard the loud click , I think I reactively moved the rifle and missed the back of the head of the deer. I did check the barrel was clear after the shot .

Chill

Sounds like a 'hang fire' from your description...defective primer? Primer not seated correctly?
    Could be a number of reasons why this occurred.
    The lessons are: always keep the muzzle in a safe direction, & never open the bolt immediately.
    Always allow at least a couple of minutes for the primer to ignite the propellant after pulling the trigger.
    If when it does fire, do exactly what you did & ensure the barrel is clear.
    Cheers
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    After I had heard the loud click , I think I reactively moved the rifle and missed the back of the head of the deer. I did check the barrel was clear after the shot .
    Always difficult to anticipate how we react in these type of situations, but it does illustrate the benefit of practicing good follow through: http://artoftherifle.com/follow-thro...w-through.html

As there could be a mutitude of reasons for this I suggest you go right from basics and clean the rifle and especially the bolt. Strip the bolt to clean it. If you cannot then take it to someone who can. Once done with the rifle look at your reloading set up.

Could the primer have got contamination on it?

How new is the Powder?

How old are the primers?

Type of powder ................... it is better suited to a hotter primer?

Did the cartridge get wet?

Basics. Trial and elimination is the process. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Seen this once. The flash hole was malformed and too small and pushed the primer proud and loose. Factory ammo.

Also seen one .308 factory round with no flash hole at all blew the primer to bits.

faulty primmer, sticky firing pin, faulty sear. follow proper procedures because if you dont it could be fatal. if you are handling primers dont touch them with your hands