Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way?

Best way?

Been looking for a van/estate for a while and seen exactly what i'm after but its at the other end of the country in Paignton. Is there anyone on here that can give it a checkover as the mileage etc is very low for a 10 year old vehicle?
    Also what is the best way to travel from Stirling? I could trailer it or what do you suggest?

By the time you work out fuel and expenses and possibly an overnight stay somewhere, it is surely cheaper to find one closer to home?
    I grew up near there and wouldn't buy an older car from that location as it is coastal with a prevailing South Westerly wind which just throws salty air about and does vehicle no favours!
    I doubt your Land Rover would make it that far anyway?
    MS

If you do go a distance to get a vehicle then I suggest the train and drive the vehicle home. I used the Network Rail web site to find and book tickets when I went to collect the MG. That site was 1/3 the price that "The Trainline.com" wanted. Coaches were dearer and took a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    If you do go a distance to get a vehicle then I suggest the train and drive the vehicle home. I used the Network Rail web site to find and book tickets when I went to collect the MG. That site was 1/3 the price that "The Trainline.com" wanted. Coaches were dearer and took a lot longer.
    That would assume that you are happy to purchase the vehicle without actually seeing it and can sort out insurance, breakdown cover and tax (which is no longer transferrable). It's a big risk on an older car and could find you considerably out of pocket if it turns out to be a pile of scrap! I think you will also find that a rail ticket to the Southwest from Scotland would also cost you more than a 10 year old car!

SD Regular
    As others say:

Trainline a rip-off compared to direct purchase from actual train operator.

Salt may be an issue. MoT Certificates from past years may show mileage and repairs done.

AA used to offer independent inspection. But cheapest option is just to as vehicle be presented for an MoT a few days before your planned visit. Vendor can then scan you result. Including the "advisories".

If it sounds too good to be true...well you know the rest...

Maybe you could swap your EELL for it, plus cash, and tow it home!

Coincidence or what!

I'm just looking at making the reverse type of trip. Best price I can find on a new vehicle for my wife is from a main dealer in Edinburgh, so I've been looking at the best one way option to travel up to collect. Either Bristol airport to Edinburgh at 26 with Ryanair, (not direct) or 35 with Easyjet direct but entails a 45-60 minute lift to the airport this end, or Exeter airport at 42 and 20 minutes away. In reverse Exeter is a good option if you want to then go on to Paignton by bus or rail - or maybe even arrange a collection by the vendor from the airport?
    Last edited by Orion; 12-01-2016 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Coincidence or what!
    Why don't you drive up to RD, get him to drive your new car back to yours. Then take him to his new car which he can then drive back North! He can share half the cost of your fuel up North. Sorted!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    ...or meet halfway.

Now you're confusing matters!

Far better that RD drives our new motor down from Edinburgh and then I give him a lift to Paignton,and where he collects his before heading back up. I'll even give him the 26 airfare I've saved. How's that sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Now you're confusing matters!

Far better that RD drives our new motor down from Edinburgh and then I give him a lift to Paignton,and where he collects his before heading back up. I'll even give him the 26 airfare I've saved. How's that sound?
    Only if you can get the dealer to hardwire the stereo to play Motorhead's Greatest Hits on a loop