Stovies?

Dawnrazor

Stovies, my wife, at my request, made "Stovies"for us, now, "Stovies" for me was made by my Nan and Granny with mashed tatties, onion, carrot, maybe peas and sausages or left over beef or lamb, the tatties were ALWAYS mashed! What the wife made was sausage stew, tatties left in chunks in gravey!!
She's still not speaking to me for questioning her recipe!!
Come on, what's the views on Stovies? Mashed or left in chunks in gravey, sausage? beef?

Different area's have different metods , in the North East of Scotland the tatties are cut into small chunks and stewed in fat in a pot with pullef beef and onions until the tatties break down, stirred and served. Certanly never mashed.

Sliced spuds, chunky spuds, whole small shallots. Never had mashed spuds which to me would make the dish a hash rather than stovies. Truth is there are many , many recipes floating around and I understand that the original was made with left over chicken.

Blackpowder

Definitely sliced potatoes. Mashed !! Never the term stovies means stew made from left-overs . Mashed potatoes Really. Dinny thinksa Ken.

Hi Spuds cooked to an inch of their life, so that they fall apart indicating that they might have been mashed. That is why it is always a sloppy mixture. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Jim

Never mashed tatties are sliced add onions and any leftover meat you may have anything left over from the Sunday roast is ideal,fry gently in beef dripping never oil add a little water and a lid to the pot allow to steam until tatties

are softt and broken down and all water has been absorbed.

Serve with oatcakes and pickled beetroot.

Stovies should only have three ingredients tatties onions and meat nothing else, tatties should not be mashed if they are its hash good enough but not stovies.

bogtrotter has nailed it but can I just add that lamb stovies are the best and you can put a little left over gravy in if you have it. mmmm

Dad,s Sunday breakfast was always sausage stovies ,being a Glasgow man it was a ritual i always new it was time to leave my pit when i smelt it cooking/

Stovies with Hp sauce 👍👍👍👍
Tatties in small chunks until mixture of chunks & mash ..

Venison ones are ace

Paul

I have some leftover roast venison in the fridge from Sunday, I think I'll be giving this a go trying Bogtrotters description. I've never heard of stovies before but it sound good. Am I looking for a thick stew consistency or more of a mush?? Technical culinary terms I know!!

Tatties,onion, corned beef, beef dripping and sausages. Broon sauce. Never had peas or carrots sounds weird then it was a dish to use up what you had.

Back