Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q: Reloading - Manual or Software?

SD Regular

Q: Reloading - Manual or Software?

So - question to the enlightened: If you were to advise a newbie to reloading, would you suggest they buy a reloading manual or software (Quickload or similar) - and why?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    So - question to the enlightened: If you were to advise a newbie to reloading, would you suggest they buy a reloading manual or software (Quickload or similar) - and why?
    A manual such as the Lee manual, Hornady manual or Nosler manual, unless the newbie is a rocket scientist. I have wasted my money on a lot of reloading stuff, but I have never contemplated buying Quickload or similar software. I have invested in a ballistics app, but that has had a steep and painful learning curve.

Regards

JCS

Quickload is bloody handy but should never replace a couple of good manuals and safe teqnique.

Manual, all the info is there and straight forward

Or get reloading data online from the powder/bullet manafacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Not sure about qualification re. being enlightened but would have said they were quite different things.

Certainly for a newbie the manual which would describe a working process complete with things to avoid would be more useful than an algorithm to calculate loads and their effects.

Hornady manual number 9 is available to download for £10 or so. I have a copy on my iPhone, my MacBook and my mum's iPad.

I have heard that the Lee manual is very good, and will get a copy one day.

Alan

Manual. You can read it by candle light.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    A manual such as the Lee manual, Hornady manual or Nosler manual, unless the newbie is a rocket scientist. I have wasted my money on a lot of reloading stuff, but I have never contemplated buying Quickload or similar software. I have invested in a ballistics app, but that has had a steep and painful learning curve.

Regards

JCS

I have the Nosler manual (it came as a deal with my RCBS rochchucker Supreme) and I have to say that after reading it I have not learned that much. Before buying my kit I have extensively researched videos and articles (some explaining the basics, others demonstrating how to do things) and I have to say I learned an awful lot from these. For load recipes etc, I found that using the powder manufacturer's website is the best way forward. I am new to it too, but feel very confident already, as I have invested time in reading and watching videos. I have since reloaded about 500 rounds for my .357 and I am over the moon with the results. Being prepared made the whole process a very easy and pleasant affair.
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

There is a manual in Australia put out by a chap called Nick Harvey, the latest is Edition no.9. The best thing about his is that it covers a multitude of bullet and powder manufacturers so you good a really good cross section of what is out there. His experience spans 50 odd years and he knows his stuff. I bought my last off ebay, link will show you what I am referring to. Hope this helps.
    http://westernfirearms.com.au/reload...ed-p-2560.html
    Jerry

Buy a couple of manuals. Lyman & Lee are both good ones to have. They both give good data and step by step guidance; by far the best way to get into and understand reloading.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!