Browning t-bolt target varmint .17 hmr

J0RD4N

I'm thinking about getting one of these browning t bolts in .17hmr.
Has any one had any experience with them?

Really pleased with mine in laminate stainless. Very accurate with Remington accutip which Countryman of Derby do a good price on. Yes trigger is heavy but a clean break, so was not a reason for me to discount getting one. Don't know if you have tried a HMR before but it's a bit noisy in the woods whatever mod you use. If it's your first HMR whatever you get I think you will have fun and enjoy v flat shooting up to 150 yards.

I was looking at the laminet stainless ones. And in synthetic stocks.
I wont have the trouble of noise in woods, mostly flat and hilly land it will be used in.
any recommendations for a moderator?
But thanks for the replies.

got the lighter sporter version, very useful 100yd bunny/fox basher when Im working around the shoot. trigger not great but ok for what it does. straight pull took a bit of time to get use to and its a bit fussy on feeding Hornady 17gn vmax ammunition. overall pretty happy with it, the .17hmr is a great round and I use my .22rf very little nowadays

got to agree

your defeating the object having a target rifle with a crap trigger.

get the sporter and a sak mod, if your in open space the mod will do you a treat and at £39 silly not to.

bob.

I'd have to say that I don't use my .17 Tbolt sporter for target shooting, IMO its not up to that at all, just a light utility rifle. There may be other .17 that fit your bill if thats what you're after (Anschutz do one I think?). If you just like the look of the laminate/stainless then thats your personal choice.

Does anyone else find it odd that a rifle for shooting bits of paper or card it seems needs a better trigger than a rifle used to humanly dispatch live quarry?

After all the card or paper will not really mind if you pull a shot off one side due to a heavier or poorer trigger.

the scorer would mind!
seriously though, a target trigger at 8oz pull wouldn't necessarily be my first choice for a stalking trigger. And you're right, having the best/most consistent/reliable and safest trigger you can afford to aid you in humanely despatching live quarry should be as important in a stalking rifle as it is in a target rifle.

What's the better one? Sporter or target/varmint.
The trigger doesn't bother me.
I can only speak for the sporter synthetic as I've not used the varmint,
It depends what you want out of it really... trigger aside, the varmint barrel should be more stable over extended shooting periods as the barrel won't heat up as quick, it should give you a more stable platform for shooting prone off a rest at longer ranges. It won't be as light and handy off hand though, and long range accuracy will entirely depend on how well its put together and what ammunition works best.
I don't think .17HMR are ever going to qualify as real precision long range rifles in the same way as 6mm would, but thats not what it was meant for, where it really shines is extending the range of a rimfire from 70 yards ish with a .22, up to 120 ish (some will chime in here with much longer shots I'm sure) if the gun and you can shoot that distance. This does come at the expense of noise of course.
Undoubtedly the stainless synthetic is a pretty gun, and if you like it over the lighter more utility sporter synthetic, thats great. Within the ranges that the .17 can kill at, I doubt if there will be a huge difference, but if you're shooting bunnies/tin cans prone at max range and want stability over portability the heavier varmint will prob be better for you.

I have just purchased a browning t bolt sporter with sak mod in 17hmr.

have just zeroed in vortex cross fire 2.

yes, a bit fussy with hornady v max as above.

I do like the t bolt and mags.

what would you guys advise for an add on lamp for shooting rabbits/foxes please

Absolutely love my sporter. Reliable and consistent so far. Mine hasn't been fussy ammo wise and runs nicely on 17grain Hornady. My go to walk about rifle. There are better triggers out there but mine breaks cleanly enough not to detract from accuracy.

I had the sporter in hmr and really liked it. I did some work on the trigger and it improved, you can go the jard route but add the cost to the price of the rifle and you are in weihrauch/ anchutz territory . Where the t bolt shines is its function as an instinctive hunting rifle which is very manuverable ,snag free and pointable. You'll soon forget about the trigger when you're in the rabbits and racking that superb straight pull. Have patience with it when you get it though because they need about 150 rounds through it before you start to see really tight groups and then only clean it when the groups start opening up because these like a dirty barrel.

I have just purchased a browning t bolt sporter with sak mod in 17hmr.

have just zeroed in vortex cross fire 2.

yes, a bit fussy with hornady v max as above.

I do like the t bolt and mags.

what would you guys advise for an add on lamp for shooting rabbits/foxes please

You have made no introduction, have had for sales posts deleted and asked to make an introduction but still ignore the rules. You will be unable to ignore this, you are banned.

John

Back