Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salmon Fishing

Salmon Fishing

Hi,

Looking ahead to end of Deer season, and i am looking for a good DVD on Salmon fishing (spinning only) can anyone recommend one.

Regards,

I was brought up with the worlds greatest salmon fisher Peter Anderson and he used to say people who spin would steal. (although he caught the 2nd biggest UK salmon on a toby).!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I was brought up with the worlds greatest salmon fisher Peter Anderson and he used to say people who spin would steal. (although he caught the 2nd biggest UK salmon on a toby).!
    Lovely article on the man: This week reporter David Friel talks to angling legend Peter Anderson. - Kirkintilloch Herald
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Cant help with a dvd but it might be worth a look on "Scottish Salmon Fishing Surgery" website. They have a very good section on spinning, with hints on what rod/reel/lure to use,and ways to fish them, without trying to sell you this brand or that brand. The website covers a vast amount about salmon and is written by two mad keen fishers. Well worth a look.

Lots of books on salmon fishing on Amazon. In the USA and Canada, there are the purists who use fly rod and wade rivers, but also bank fisherman for salmon and steelhead who use mostly spinning reels. In the Great Lakes, most fishing for salmon and lake trout is by trolling plugs and spoons with conventional reels.

I'd strongly urge you to get a fly rod and join the gentlemanly side of the river. Unless you're disabled or under about eight years old

Learn to fly fish, its the only way to go. There are for example on Tweed seasonal restrictions on spinning, my own Association does not allow it at all. When things are going well fly casting I find great enjoyment from the act of presenting a lure to a fish which is not feeding in fresh water. Its even better when that long drag of a taking fish is felt and its ,'fish on'. Try it.

Blackpowder

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I happen to fish exclusively fly only.

But I have also had the pleasure of accompanying people who fished the spinner and the worm with equal skill. Once you get past the attitude of those fly-nazis who believe that anything else is "chuck it and see" you might be pleasantly surprised.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I happen to fish exclusively fly only.

But I have also had the pleasure of accompanying people who fished the spinner and the worm with equal skill. Once you get past the attitude of those fly-nazis who believe that anything else is "chuck it and see" you might be pleasantly surprised.
    No need for DVD, chuck it down and across, chuck it up and across, retrieve, wait for line to go tight.

It has to be the most boring types of fishing for Salmon.

I was shown how to worm for Salmon, a lot more skill involved than what you might think.

Then i started fly fishing for them, that's the way for me, but too be honest i don't fish for them very often, it's brown trout and Sea Trout fishing, the latter is my passion!

I don't like 'fly nazis'

Cheers

Richard