Thread: Stargazing

Stargazing

my wife has developed an interest in looking at the stars after watching it on the TV I was just wondering if I was to get a telescope for her do any of you guys know what would be a good entry level telescope/spotting scope would be ok

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun..willy View Post
    my wife has developed an interest in looking at the stars after watching it on the TV I was just wondering if I was to get a telescope for her do any of you guys know what would be a good entry level telescope/spotting scope would be ok
    Can't help with the telescope, but if your wife has an iPhone/iPad I can recommend a couple of apps: GoSkyWatch and Star Walk.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

+1 for Star Walk.

I can lose literally hours of a night using it!

That depends on what you want to see and budget really , just the moon is easy but deeper in space not so.
    Have a look here Beginner Telescopes Guide | First Light Optics

Stargazing

Look 2nd hand , can get some bargains
    I was lucky & got a Meade lx90 with heap of extras for 600
    It's a 2k scope new !

My pal bought an entry level Celestron , the cheapest computerized one that has a star database & holds onto its target once in it so you dont have to keep moving to compensate for earth rotation. 360 ish new he was

Goskywatch I've used & like , must try star walk
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452760991.765965.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	65381

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452761022.649098.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	65382
    Taken with iPhone over eyepiece

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452761049.834850.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	65383

Paul
    Last edited by sauer; 14-01-2016 at 08:44.

Unless you can locate a decent telescope at a good secondhand price, then it's probably better to start with (your?) binoculars and a smartphone or iPad app as above. The one we use is Startracker which is very good and comes complete - no in-app purchases, which you have to watch out for with some others.

I had a 12" skywatcher with a EQ6 mount here is a video from it onto a SLR camera https://flic.kr/p/7tUPiq I did some deep space with it as well but to be honest I was not impressed with the results .

You need to take her well out side the town to fully appreciate the dark and see all the stars and pick her up at some point!