Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you lost? A non-confrontational thread for a change

What have you lost? A non-confrontational thread for a change

A couple of months ago, I lost a knife whilst out. In fact, I have been known to do this from time to time. There's a fell in Cumbria that in a thousand years will be examined by archaeologists and they'll say it's the site of an old late 20th century/early 21st century settlement where people made knives.

The latest one I lost was just the normal lock knife that I generally carry when up there and is only worth about £25.00. But do it a few times and it mounts up. So the wife, bless her bought me a replacement at Christmas. With a camo handle! Tempting fate that, I thought so I've put a lanyard on it, see if that works. So today we were moving the furniture in the living room, ready for some flooring to be laid and as I moved the couch, what should drop onto the floor? The last knife I lost, supposedly in a corner of a field, in reality in a corner of a couch. Ho hum!

I know we had a thread a while back that asked what strange things you'd found whilst out, but what have you left out there? Dogs? Firearms? (Don't incriminate yourself) Someone sitting in a high chair? or what....

To tell truth - I lost, and eventually recovered a shotgun.

Imagine a hunt that went wrong at every turn (no birds, leaking waders, flooded creeks, dog fights, etc....). Get back to the truck and start trying to gather up and go home, all the while in a TORRENTIAL RAIN. Set the shotgun on the top of the truck because there was no way it was going in a slip to start rusting. At this point, the dog fight begins yet again. Eventually get the dogs crated crawl in the truck cab and drive off. Have not gone 5 miles when I realize gun is not in truck. Turn around, drive back, gun is no where to be found along road or at spot we parked. Immediately proceed to local Sheriff and file lost/stolen gun report. Feel quite horrible, but can't do much.

3 months pass, waterfowl season is over, and I go to the mailbox and find my check from NRA (for those that don't know, not only are they political, they provide $1000 insurance for lost/stolen guns, and liability/disability insurance while shooting - quite the bargain actually). As I walk back inside with check in hand, my mobile rings. It is the sheriff and he would like me to come down and identify my gun. It was in pristine condition, and after much prying he basically said that the recoverer was not completely an honest man. It seemed it watched it fall off truck, scuttled outside and grabbed it, cleaned it up, and then waited for things before he tried to pawn it. Because it was listed as stolen, this resulted in a visit from the sheriff who gave him a choice, turn it over or take a ride in the police car.

Did I, and do I still, feel bad about this - YES. But, sometimes Karma truly is a bitch - and payback for all the good stuff comes in one lump sum.

Many gloves, only ever one of a pair. Once lost a neoprene glove, found it a month or so later and rats had nibbled away at the thing strip of leather that ran between the fingers.

Only thing to turn up after a few years missing was my old Barbour wax cotton bush hat, with my lifetimes collection of woodcock pin feathers in the rim. Walking around checking pheasnt feeders I saw the rim of a hat sticking up from a winter wheat field, pulled it up but it was beyond saving. Ploughed and disced several times it was unrepairable.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Many gloves, only ever one of a pair.
    First coldish day this season I went rummaging in the cupboards for my gloves and found six. None of them matching. There must be some sort of goblin that eats them, but can't manage a pair.

Unhappy

My 20 year old Stanley Aladdin 1 litre thermos flask. It was battered & well used but had literally been through some battles with me in the past so I was rather fond of it. God knows where it went! I suspect it's under a high seat somewhere or fell out the boot whilst loading kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    To tell truth - I lost, and eventually recovered a shotgun.

Imagine a hunt that went wrong at every turn (no birds, leaking waders, flooded creeks, dog fights, etc....). Get back to the truck and start trying to gather up and go home, all the while in a TORRENTIAL RAIN. Set the shotgun on the top of the truck because there was no way it was going in a slip to start rusting. At this point, the dog fight begins yet again. Eventually get the dogs crated crawl in the truck cab and drive off. Have not gone 5 miles when I realize gun is not in truck. Turn around, drive back, gun is no where to be found along road or at spot we parked. Immediately proceed to local Sheriff and file lost/stolen gun report. Feel quite horrible, but can't do much.

3 months pass, waterfowl season is over, and I go to the mailbox and find my check from NRA (for those that don't know, not only are they political, they provide $1000 insurance for lost/stolen guns, and liability/disability insurance while shooting - quite the bargain actually). As I walk back inside with check in hand, my mobile rings. It is the sheriff and he would like me to come down and identify my gun. It was in pristine condition, and after much prying he basically said that the recoverer was not completely an honest man. It seemed it watched it fall off truck, scuttled outside and grabbed it, cleaned it up, and then waited for things before he tried to pawn it. Because it was listed as stolen, this resulted in a visit from the sheriff who gave him a choice, turn it over or take a ride in the police car.

Did I, and do I still, feel bad about this - YES. But, sometimes Karma truly is a bitch - and payback for all the good stuff comes in one lump sum.
    glad you got your gun back ,keeper found shotgun Leaning against tree not one of his syndicate ! tryed to contact landowner who was away on hols .....cant hold gun so phoned police who promptly found the guns owner ........knock on the door of the landowner on his return from hols......revoked certificate! landowner revoked the syndicates lease lets hope karma prevails
    Norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 14-01-2016 at 08:17.

A snugpak bumbag with a 40 quid knife in it . A small oilstone , first aid kit & a bushwear roe carry strap ...
    Was out with NV on a guys farm with him to try lamp shy foxes , back to truck home , no bumbag think it was around the steadi game at this farm but never got opportunity to go look .
    Moved home now so definitely not there

Bummer

Paul

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    worst thing I have lost.

1994 4th jan in Omagh NI.................................my father.

and I never had the chance to say how much I loved him before he passed,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Lost? Nothing of any importance, but there's a fell in Cumbria that's keeping me in knives...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Lost a bullet pouch full of .222 ammo but managed to find it
    my wedding ring twice once gralloching a roe and once paunching a rabbit but found it both times with many thanks to a kind metal detectorist
    Lost a wildcat mod informed the police after a couple of hours searching they in fairness were fine and said not to worrie and I would be surprised if I knew how often firearms actually went missing and all I needed to do was put in for a variation which I did but this wasn't needed in the end as the wife found it a couple of days later inside the sofa
    Best one tho is actually the wife she lost our son inside the house a couple of years ago she obviuosly went into blind panic mode after a couple of of moments shouting out for him (he was about 3 at the time) she started to rip the house apart looking every where and after about five minutes of looking she heard him laughing quietly as he was watching her run round from inside his toy box which he had climbed into shut the lid and was watching her through the hand holes for carrying it in the side luckily I was at work at the time and didn't have to deal with her wrath the boy tho didn't fair so well