Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Hello you lovely lot!

A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of this forum so thought I’d see what it’s all about and keen to learn as much as possible!

A bit about me: I grew up in Cornwall on a Dairy Farm until we had to sell up. Field sports is something i’ve always done but had a bit of a break from after moving to London to pursue a career in Film (This will be the first and last time I’ll mention work, due to it’s nature it doesn't always mix with field sports as i’m sure you can appreciate-so there may be topics or questions i’ll remain silent on).
    I’m now a little older, wiser and able to spend a little more time getting back to the sports I love.

Although I’ve been shooting as long as I can remember, Stalking is something that I’ve only recently got into. Being new to the sport I’ve only been on a handful of stalks, 3 were no shows or only animals out of season and the last one was a success and a very memorable first Fallow Doe. Coming from a farming background I would say I lean more to the management/ one for the pot side of the spectrum as a pose to pure trophy stalking but of course see it’s merits.

Ok, so now you have my life story I’ll leave you with a parting statement which I’m sure will get a few response- I’m currently in the process of applying for my FAC, once this comes through I’m looking at a hopefully getting a Sauer 404 (i’ve used a Sauer 202 for all my stalks so far) in .243- thoughts on a postcard please….

Welcome! I have used a Sauer 202 in .243 for a good few years. Great rifle. I'm sure the 404 would serve you equally well.

Welcome to the SD!

Whereabouts in Cornwall are you from? I'm one of those horrible London types who goes to Cornwall on holiday and claims to know the place I'm afraid. Although with a twist: my family are horrible FRENCH London-types who've been going there for forty years, and indeed I was christened in St Mabyn. So much for my Cornish connection.

The Sauer 404 looks fantastic but a bit too engineery if you know what I mean. A great rifle perhaps a little lacking in personality, but that's completely subjective. I had been hoping that the introduction of the 404 would lead to knock-down prices on the 202 Take-Down but that doesn't seem to be happening yet....

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Pine Marten- I'll leave it a bit vague but near a North Coast surf town, if it weren't for tourism i think the county would be in a much worse state so we're always of fan of the Holidaymakers!

Totally get what you're saying about the 404, I have to say the I do love the 202 very comfortable and well balanced- although I'm personally not a fan of the safety catch location on the 202 which the 404 seems to have addressed. I'm also keen on the idea of once I've put a few miles on the clock I can always add / swap out the barrel for a .308 rather than having to get a whole other rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow_to_LDN View Post
    Pine Marten- I'll leave it a bit vague but near a North Coast surf town
    One with a brewery, or one with an airport?

Totally get what you're saying about the 404, I have to say the I do love the 202 very comfortable and well balanced- although I'm personally not a fan of the safety catch location on the 202 which the 404 seems to have addressed. I'm also keen on the idea of once I've put a few miles on the clock I can always add / swap out the barrel for a .308 rather than having to get a whole other rifle
    I have a hankering after a Merkel Helix Arabesque in 7x64 but it's very much an imaginary sort of purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    One with a brewery, or one with an airport?

Duty free is a beautiful thing...

I have a hankering after a Merkel Helix Arabesque in 7x64 but it's very much an imaginary sort of purchase...
    There goes the rest of my day looking at the Merkel!

There goes the rest of my day looking at the Merkel!
    Well if you buy one, can I have a go on it please?

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome KtL,Sauer 404 in .243 will be a proper job down ere