Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much to pay?

How much to pay?

Hi

I hope someone can give me some help full advice.I met a land owner and he want me to give him a offer to do a deer stalking in his land.On the land is Fallow and Muntjac and every second outing you can see some.The land is 50 acres.How much is a reasonable price for a year.Please give me some advice the landlord want to see me this weekend.

Thanks George

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Always difficult to say. I remember Dominic Griffith saying no professional deer manager could afford to pay more per year than 50p an acre for stalking, as otherwise the economics wouldn't add up, but I'm guessing your farmer might not be happy with an offer of 25!

Are the deer a problem from the farmer's perspective? If not, you are effectively providing him with a new source of revenue rather than a solution to a problem.

Also how well do you know the farmer? Is he a long-time acquaintance or someone you've approached "out of the blue"?

If he's a long-time acquaintance then perhaps see if he will accept a 50:50 split of the revenue from any deer sold to the game dealer.

Otherwise you may just have to accept that you're likely to end up in a bidding war at some point, as once the farmer has realised that someone is willing to pay for the stalking you may find he tries to find others willing to pay more.

You may be best to work out what you are willing to pay. Factors that might influence this could include:
    How close to home is the farm?
    How easily accessible is the ground?
    Are there any limitations on when you can access the ground (times of day, footpaths, other land use, etc.)?
    Is there a game shoot there?
    How many deer per year can you shoot/dispose of?
    How much time do you want - or can you afford - to spend stalking?
    Will you need to buy and install any high seats or other equipment?
    What have you been paying for stalking up until now?

Whatever you decide to do - best of luck
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 14-01-2016 at 14:26.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Always difficult to say. I remember Dominic Griffith saying no professional deer manager could afford to pay more per year than 50p an acre for stalking, as otherwise the economics wouldn't add up, but I'm guessing your farmer might not be happy with an offer of 25!

Are the deer a problem from the farmer's perspective? If not, you are effectively providing him with a new source of revenue rather than a solution to a problem.

Also how well do you know the farmer? Is he a long-time acquaintance or someone you've approached "out of the blue"?

If he's a long-time acquaintance then perhaps see if he will accept a 50:50 split of the revenue from any deer sold to the game dealer.

Otherwise you may just have to accept that you're likely to end up in a bidding war at some point, as once the farmer has realised that someone is willing to pay for the stalking you may find he tries to find others willing to pay more.

You may be best to work out what you are willing to pay. Factors that might influence this could include:
    How close to home is the farm?
    How easily accessible is the ground?
    Are there any limitations on when you can access the ground (times of day, footpaths, other land use, etc.)?
    Is there a game shoot there?
    How many deer per year can you shoot/dispose of?
    How much time do you want - or can you afford - to spend stalking?
    Will you need to buy and install any high seats or other equipment?
    What have you been paying for stalking up until now?

Whatever you decide to do - best of luck
    The farm 60 minutes drive from me.The landlord want to get a fix money and 2 Fallow deer for him in a year.What i was understand with the previous stalker he had a 50-50 deal but the landlord didn't get anything.Also the landlord run the game shoot there but he dont want to deal with a deer shooting.I just want to get this land for my self and maybe 1 or 2 friend and want to spend a bit less for hunting because this is not a cheapest hobby in the world.

I could be worth asking the owner how he wants the deer managed, what his objectives are. Show him that you are prepared and have the ability to produce a cull plan that will meet his needs and objectives etc. If he sees you as a professional and someone who wants to work with him in the long term it may well help your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post
    The farm 60 minutes drive from me.The landlord want to get a fix money and 2 Fallow deer for him in a year.What i was understand with the previous stalker he had a 50-50 deal but the landlord didn't get anything.Also the landlord run the game shoot there but he dont want to deal with a deer shooting.I just want to get this land for my self and maybe 1 or 2 friend and want to spend a bit less for hunting because this is not a cheapest hobby in the world.
    Do you know, or can you ask the farmer, how many deer the previous stalker shot? If so, you might want to work out what 50% of the dealer price would have worked out to over the year?

Or has he given you any idea about how many he wants shot? All of them, 50%, some, one or two??

If you don't know either of the above, then figure on shooting 1 deer every 3 or 4 outings to the farm, and then work out how many deer that might mean you shoot in a year (assuming you won't be able to get there every weekend), and do the same calculation.

From this you should be able to work out a rough number of how many deer will be shot, what the dealer price would be, and what a 50% share would be equal to.

Either way, explain to the farmer how you came to the number and then offer him that money up front. If you're really keen on having the ground maybe round up a bit? Explain to the farmer that if you shoot more deer in the year you'll add to the money he gets, but if you shoot less then you'll swallow the cost as "you're new to the ground".

Explain that you'll call him the day before you plan to go stalking to make sure it's okay by him, and that you'll call him after you've stalked to let him know how you got on. If you can, stop by his farm when you finish stalking and show him the beast (if you've shot one).

That way both you and he can build up trust.

At the end of the year review with the farmer how the season went, how many deer you shot, and what you plan to do the following season if he's kind enough to let you carry on.

Of course if you really, really want the ground then you can throw all of the above out of the window and just make him an offer you think he'll accept! But I'd try the approach of showing him a fair method first. Worst case he'll say that "I was thinking of a bit more" or "another stalker offered me double that", but let's hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post
    If the landlord didn't get any money from venison shot by the previous stalker I'd be concerned that there might not be many deer there to shoot.....

tread carefully before parting with any money, I'd be wanting to make a few dawn/dusk visits to see what's actually on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    If the landlord didn't get any money from venison shot by the previous stalker I'd be concerned that there might not be many deer there to shoot.....

tread carefully before parting with any money, I'd be wanting to make a few dawn/dusk visits to see what's actually on the ground.
    Good point and definitely worth checking. I'd taken it from this comment in the OP that there were certainly deer there to be seen:

On the land is Fallow and Muntjac and every second outing you can see some.

But we all know what fallow are like, here today, then missing for 3-4 weeks,

I got a lot of good points thanks for that.I been out there 2 times and seen deer one time but i will ask the owner to let me have some visit more.Maybe i was really that day.

I would split the venison with him. Off 50 acres its only going to be a couple of deer a year. Deliver his venison oven ready. Thats the deal I have - I shoot something, the landowner gets a haunch, a tenderloin and a shoulder - either whole or diced. I make sure its oven ready, or can go straight into the freezer.