Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prepared for an emergency?

Prepared for an emergency?

Scenario.

You are stalking ground that is several miles from civilization. So you have had a successful evening stalk. It has started to rain. You slip whilst gralloching and stab yourself in the thigh. You pull the knife out and realize you bleeding badly.

Darkness is falling.

The temperature is dropping.

You are wet and your phone has lost its signal.

Hopefuly you will never be in this situation but if we are honest it only takes a small mistake and any of us could be.

Answer honestly...

What do you carry on your person for a quick excursion for deer that you could use to treat yourself in this case?

How would you then plan to keep yourself alive long enough to raise the alarm and get help?

.... it just happens we are running a First Aid Course. Please see the link!,

Available: First aid course - l2 efaw+f

Course now includes lunch!
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 15-01-2016 at 13:37.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

A pack of Celox granules.

In together, out together whenever possible or predetermined exit show up time.

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    A pack of Celox granules.

In together, out together whenever possible or predetermined exit show up time.
    Me also, Celox ain't cheap but could save your life.
    My wife also has a list of all my permissions, GPS coordinates, contact no's of landowners (i bet a few people would love that info!) and a rough time when i will be home.
    I am also first aid trained.
    Cheers
    Richard

1. Area I'm in is known and there's a 'report if not back by' system in place.
    2. In specific circumstance, I have celox/ Quik Clot and pressure dressing. I may or may not withdraw blade depending on a number of factors - a good course will tell you what they are and best place to learn! Ditto shock treatment, raising limb etc etc. With deep penetrating wound the 'moral fibre' to stay conscious whilst trying to self pack a deep wound is 'interesting' to contemplate. Hence 3 would likely be first action given heavy bleeding secenario - then try on site repair.
    3. In the slightest doubt as to ability to safely extract myself and with no signal as example given - I would activate my PLB
    4. If staying in situ, would deploy Blizzard Bag in circumstances described after putting self in best position possible and trying to ensure location visibly marked - SOLAS tape on much of my kit, marker panel etc.
    5. Complete Gralooch before doing anything of the above or else John gets grumpy and docks my wage....
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Always have a "lone working" plan in place.

Someone (the wife) knows where I am going (with grid reference) and what time I will report back. I always sent a text when I start and finish (or at know last reliable signal points.

We are about to get issued with spot trackers at work and I intend to ask if I can uses these while out.
    Last edited by slider; 15-01-2016 at 06:27.

Israeli FFD and CATT, to s top bleeding and mini flares to call for help.

I don't carry anything - too much admin. When my time's up that's it.

Firstly I wouldn't pull the knife out. Leave it in to stop the blood flow.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    Firstly I wouldn't pull the knife out. Leave it in to stop the blood flow.
    Easy to say but in the moment I'm willing to bet many would pull it straight out again!
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

What would you do if your tyre burst...

By the way I have a great deal on tyres...

Jeeeezzz
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...