Prepared for an emergency?

Firstly I wouldn't pull the knife out. Leave it in to stop the blood flow.

Easier said than done.

I had the misfortune of sustaining penetrative trauma to the chest whilst in my late teens and when I noticed what was sticking out of me I very quickly withdrew it in sheer blind panic. Funnily enough I recall absolutely no pain whatsoever up until that point but the subsequent pain, and the memory of the hissing noise as I "unstoppered" the hole in my lung / chest, will go with me to my grave.......

When people start to mention bad Injurys bleeding ect, most will say get first aid training. To be honest most people should know what to do if somebody was cut bad, my thoughts on this would be train your self to use the knife properly in the first place, everybody knows you always cutaway from the body otherwise if you slip you are going to stab yourself full stop .

I almost never stalk on my own. In a normal year i may only go once, perhaps twice a year on my own, and am out every week weather permitting with my regular stalking friends. In the past i did not keep the best of health (all fine now) and so decided it best to stalk with my pals. It does not limit us in any way and adds to the enjoyment. My wife will know i am shooting, but generally wont know where i am, not even the estate i am on, as we sometimes set off for one and divert when we see the weather on the hills, it could be along time before i would be found if something bad happened. Phone contact up in the hills is very variable, from nil to 4g. We are totally recreational so why not, we dont have cull targets as such, just what we feel is acceptable for our own use. My worry is not so much stabbing myself, i really worry more about a fall/leg break/ back problem stalking in forests and clear fell, that is real leg breaking stuff.

It may be we are hundreds of meters apart, or on the other side of the hill, but there will always be two of us out, we may stalk together. The Landy and argo both have decent first aid kits and i am emergency service first aid trained. The first aid part of this does not worry me, but extraction would be difficult and very uncomfortable with a leg break!
One thing i wish we could get to work every time is the view ranger buddy beacon, i really think it is a great thing but for some reason it works really well with some people but not my most regular stalking buddy. I am on iphone and he is android, but we have managed to get it to work occasionally. I guess we must try to get it going again, i know it is a setting problem, but everytime one of us changes phone it is a battle to get it going again.

I used to go out all night on my own still do but not without letting missus know when /where,etc ,same when im stalking more so now i,m falling to bits,

Don't forget the defibrulator for us old farts who have a dickie ticker!

Reminds me of the old ghillie who, on being asked before going up on the hill by a rich American with heart trouble whether they were appropriately prepared for a client emergency, replied:

"Aye, we allus tek a shovel"

A great many factors inc the width, length, & sharpness of blade can determine type of wound, position & direction of cut also play a major role in wether you are incapacitated or not, this will determine your next course of action.
As a rule stab wounds tend to close upon blade removal, if it is not instantly fatal & not hit an artery, then removal & dressing is ok.
Shock & panic with a serious arterial wound is as much a killer as the actual wound itself.
There is also a lot of claret going everywhere, this makes simple things such as, seeing the actual wound, opening first aid kit, opening & applying bandages, using your phone, much more difficult.

A great many factors inc the width, length, & sharpness of blade can determine type of wound, position & direction of cut also play a major role in wether you are incapacitated or not, this will determine your next course of action.
As a rule stab wounds tend to close upon blade removal, if it is not instantly fatal & not hit an artery, then removal & dressing is ok.
Shock & panic with a serious arterial wound is as much a killer as the actual wound itself.
There is also a lot of claret going everywhere, this makes simple things such as, seeing the actual wound, opening first aid kit, opening & applying bandages, using your phone, much more difficult.
In have to agree with the shock and panic, even on a minor wound, some people just shut down, I once had a bullet shrapnel wound in my arm, the guy with me just panicked , I didn't, help by just getting a eye wash tube and sticking it in the hole to flush it out.

Often wondered about this when i'm swinging my chainsaw around my head so i now carry my Yaesu VX8R mini ham radio that can probably get someone nearby if i have any fingers left that is?
But thats on 2m. Who's ever on 2m nowadays ?

Scenario.

You are stalking ground that is several miles from civilization. So you have had a successful evening stalk. It has started to rain. You slip whilst gralloching and stab yourself in the thigh. You pull the knife out and realize you bleeding badly.

Darkness is falling.

The temperature is dropping.

You are wet and your phone has lost its signal.

Hopefuly you will never be in this situation but if we are honest it only takes a small mistake and any of us could be.

Answer honestly...

What do you carry on your person for a quick excursion for deer that you could use to treat yourself in this case?

How would you then plan to keep yourself alive long enough to raise the alarm and get help?

.... it just happens we are running a First Aid Course. Please see the link!,

Available: First aid course - l2 efaw+f

Course now includes lunch!

A: I wouldn't pull the knife out

B: Stalking like that i carry a Fast FInd emergancy GPS PLB properly regestered with my details

C: I carry bandages for what thats worth

D: I always carry a whistle

E: Find shelter if possable if not get out of the wind use drag bag or anything else you can find to form shelter

F: If you have any hot drink then take it before your core temperature drops

ATB

How would you then plan to keep yourself alive long enough to raise the alarm and get help

Easy! Take Essex stalker, PointBlank or me out in your stalking bag.

After the 3-day FAW+F course the three of us went on last week, we could save your life (AND your leg).

Honest :)

Last edited:
Easy to say but in the moment I'm willing to bet many would pull it straight out again!

You could always sick it back in ;)

I cut my hand badly while gralloching on a farm in Sussex a few years ago, I knew I was cut but didn't realise how bad until I cleaned up (my blood was the same colour as the deers) lol. It took a full roll of kitchen towel from the local garden centre to stop the bleeding then some carefully applied dots of superglue to stick the wound together. If it had been on my syndicate in Scotland it could have been a different story... miles from anywhere, no phone signal and no superglue.

I agree that having blood clotting agent and emergency bandages good strategy. Having a great friend suffer a real bad heart attack in a remote area with no mobile signal I have just purchased a Global Star satellite phone, brilliant system and crystal clear when used today to several different numbers. Not cheap but peanuts if you really need it.

Did a basic chainsaw course yesterday & instructor said that him & all his colleagues carry woman's sanitary towels as part o a basic first aid kit ... For minor stuff but could apply to knife cuts ...
So fanny pads & super glue

As daft as sounds would work

Paul

Did a basic chainsaw course yesterday & instructor said that him & all his colleagues carry woman's sanitary towels as part o a basic first aid kit ... For minor stuff but could apply to knife cuts ...
So fanny pads & super glue

As daft as sounds would work

Paul
Tampax have been used to plug bullet holes in people many times , IIRC "Them" used to have one in their survival tin , also used for lighting fire , condoms are also sometimes found in survival tins , useful not only for the obvious but for carrying water ;0

Back