what would you slot in here ?

bobjs

17hmr close/small areas with noise issues for the hunter etc.(again now not used much at all)

HERE, 20 tac in day mode. this is the one that's going as its not used now.

20tac NV set up, staying as the NV set up.

6mmbr long range/vermin work (but to be honest its not done a lot at all? ) so not sure where to just work it some more.

thinking of a 6/47 or a 6.5/47 for deer and longer shots with a heavier bullet.

bob.

I was thinking a 7mm08...but for long range shooting im not sure ?
What do you consider long range?
The 7mm-08 was developed for silhouette shooting matches, and long range bench rest shooting, by folks like Warren Page; then picked up and made a commercial cartridge by Remington.

7mm-08 ( or 7x57 Mauser ) have normal velocities of 120gr / 3,000 fps, 140-gr /2,800 fps, 154-gr / 2,700 fps. So, for deer, a 200-yard zero and 7.5 inch drop at 300 yards is reasonable. High BCs in lighter bullets than a .30 caliber, and less recoil.

If you are wanting to shoot at far targets, or long range and larger game like sheep or goats or large stags and boar, then go for a 7x64 or .280 Rem with 160 grain bullets, having BCs in the .525 to .625 range, at 2,750 to 2,900 fps - lots of retained energy.

7mm-08 in 20 and 22-inch for woods and walking, mountain hunting.
.280 and 7x64 in 22 and 24-inch rifles for open country and the hills.

Last edited:
Hi Southern, would you recommend 7mm-08 for kudu and oryx? my mate is bringing one to Africa this year.
Tusker

Certainly the 7mm-08 can take all the game just as well as the 7x57 Mauser has done for over 100 years, but out in the open, I would use a 7x64 or .280 Rem - something in the .30-06 class. It is really a matter of range; the 7x64 delivers energy like being 100 yards closer than a 7mm-08, and only the more rounded flat-base 160-grs seat to the bottom of the neck and permit more powder in the 7mm-08. It is 160 and 175-gr 7mm bullets I would want to use on larger animals, like elk here in the USA.

So I would talk to the outfitter and PH about the terrain, expectations of types of shots and distance, and what they think of the 7mm-08 and 7x57 for the larger plains game. And your friend is surely taking a larger rifle to Africa, as well, like a .375 H&H and maybe something in between it and the 7mm-08.

----- historical PS:
James Corbett used a 7x57 to kill several man-eating tigers, and a leopard at close range... not his first choice, however.

Eleanor O'Connor took all kinds of African game, elk and sheep with her 7x57. She also used her "big gun", a .30-06, on larger antelope. Jack loaded a 165-gr Hornady ( discontinued ) at 2,650 fps, and 160-gr Sierra and Speer ( Speer was a neighbor and friend of the O'Connors) at 2,660 fps, using surplus 4831 powder. It was a Mauser with a 22-inch barrel, described by O'Connor in his book on big game rifles, under a photo caption:

"Bradford O'Connor shooting a fine, lightweight mountain rifle owned by the author. It is a 7x57 built on a Czech VZ-24 action. Floor plate has been hinged with release button in the trigger guard, bolt handle altered, Sukalle safety installed. Scope is Weaver K-4 [later replaced by a Leupold 3x] on Buehler mount. Barrel and metal work was done by Tom Burgess, Spokane, Russ Leonard of Spokane built the light, handsome stock. Complete rifle weighs 8 lbs on the nose and is a joy to carry and to shoot."

Last edited:
I was thinking a 7mm08...but for long range shooting im not sure ?

Bob, a mate of mine is just getting a variation for this caliber, for both hunting and range work...he already holds the club record with a 6mm, and is looking to shoot mega distances with the 7mm08...:)

OOps, sorry Bob, I stand corrected mate..just asked him......it's a 6.5mm08 hes going for, aka 260...:)

Last edited:
Bob, a mate of mine is just getting a variation for this caliber, for both hunting and range work...he already holds the club record with a 6mm, and is looking to shoot mega distances with the 7mm08...:)

OOps, sorry Bob, I stand corrected mate..just asked him......it's a 6.5mm08 hes going for, aka 260...:)

cheers norrie,

im still in no hurry, the 20 has to go first and then the hidden savings come out, I really fancy a 6:5/47 but the ones I have seen are a tad pricy,

but it ill keep looking.

bob.

Bob
Get a 7mm 08, job done!!
Got one in ai and love it, my .243 ai was THE rifle I always reached for but the 7pm 08 has changed that, heavier bullet weights, frugal powder use, soft shooting but I'm still getting 3174fps with a 120 gn nobler
Just suits all manner of things
Regards

cheers springer

I will be shooting one this sunday so will let you know what I think on Monday

bob.

Back