Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308, one inch, one grain

.308, one inch, one grain

G David Tubb reckons that increasing the powder charge by 1 gain will return a 1" higher POI at 100yds. A couple of people I shoot with treat this as a near certainty.

However, while developing loads with my Tikka T3 20" barrel .308 I noticed that changing from 41.5 to 42.5gr of N140 with a 155gr SMK didn't move the POI, it only tightened the group.

How can this be?

A clever chap suggested that the barrel lenght means the extra bit of powder isn't being burnt efficiently - a diminishing return if you will.

Opinions?

I once saw a target the european bench rest champion had shot whilest practicing and as he loading the bullets with extra grains the bullets went around in a semi circle right handed with the 5 shot group of about 1 inch with all the bullets about 3mm apart
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Makes sense too, more velocity, more spin. Still makes mine a mystery; I would have expected the POI to move somewhere!

I have .308 T3 away getting cut to 20 inches and thread cut at the moment. I would be interested to hear how you got on with your load development.

Regards

Dave

The only certainty that I know when re-loading is that every rifle and every barrel is different .

I got about a 1/2" at 100yds on the first batch. Can't really moan about that so I'll probably stick with it. Next time I go (Sat) I'll chrono a few rounds of both powder weights. If there isn't much velocity difference then my mate is probably right, not all the powder is being burnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    I got about a 1/2" at 100yds on the first batch. Can't really moan about that so I'll probably stick with it. Next time I go (Sat) I'll chrono a few rounds of both powder weights. If there isn't much velocity difference then my mate is probably right, not all the powder is being burnt.
    This is a small point, but unless you're using a powder that is really inappropriately slow for the case you're using, your powder will be burnt within a few inches of the chamber. The expanding gasses, however, may need a longer barrel to be utilized. Some people contend that for practical purposes, this is really the same thing: But from an internal ballistics standpoint, it is a significant point.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 19-05-2010 at 01:32.

M. Can you post the link to David Tubb's article that talks about this effect? I would be interested to read it. Thanks JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    M. Can you post the link to David Tubb's article that talks about this effect? I would be interested to read it. Thanks JCS
    Afraid not, it's on a DVD I borrowed from a mate. I'll google it and see if I can find anything.

Muir, you make a good point. I hadn't really thought of that. It could be that the extra gas is just toasting the inside of the moderator...
    I am using N140, so not an excessively slow burner.

The trouble with using the 1", 1grn thing as a rule of thumb is that it doesn't work. Within reason my Sauer 202 will put most of it's bullets into the same 2-3" group during load development, and I usually do my trial loads in 1 grain steps.
    With a standard charge through a standard length barrel you will not get unburnt powder using N140.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.