Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen lock

Frozen lock

What do you guys use to stop your lock from freezing on hilux hardtop,have been locked out in middle of forest a couple of times, antifreeze doesnt work.

I leave it unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by sakoson View Post
    What do you guys use to stop your lock from freezing on hilux hardtop,have been locked out in middle of forest a couple of times, antifreeze doesnt work.
    Have used WD40 with the red straw, very small cans in Pound shops, or heat the key up with a lighter do that a couple of times and you are in. No lighter? Then try putting the key in your mouth on way back to vehicle it does warm up.

regards WB.

Quote Originally Posted by willowbank View Post
    Have used WD40 with the red straw, very small cans in Pound shops, or heat the key up with a lighter do that a couple of times and you are in. No lighter? Then try putting the key in your mouth on way back to vehicle it does warm up.

regards WB.
    WD40 will discover any of the lubricants in your lock so I wouldn't bother !

Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post
    WD40 will discover any of the lubricants in your lock so I wouldn't bother !
    I think in an emergency, as in locked out in freezing weather, I would try anything and WD40 does the job, I have not noticed any problems, with Defender locks, after using WD40.

ATB WB.

In a previous job of unlocking 40+ padlocks a day I always used WD40 and it worked every time and never had an issue with the padlocks year after year. You can buy little electric key things that warm the lock but seems a bit of a faff. Warm the tip of the key with the cigarette lighter in the car if you don't have any WD40 or similar?

There's a lot of heat comes of a powerful spotlight(not LED), I've thawed frozen taps with one.

Pee in a bottle then apply.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I use gt85.

I also aso have a small gas portable soldering iron that has a raw flame nozzle that works a treat,

bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    In a previous job of unlocking 40+ padlocks a day I always used WD40 and it worked every time and never had an issue with the padlocks year after year. You can buy little electric key things that warm the lock but seems a bit of a faff. Warm the tip of the key with the cigarette lighter in the car if you don't have any WD40 or similar?
    But he's locked out of the car.....

regards WB.