Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Licensing depts abiding by the law & guidance

Licensing depts abiding by the law & guidance

Dose the membership think that it's about time that licensing depts were made to comply with the letter of the law & even the guidelines, indeed a judge recently stated after an appeals case, "let us look at the law as it is written NOT as the police would like it to have been written" surely if more & more people appealed decisions their budget would force them eventually to comply. After all their quick enough jumping on us if we don't abide by the letter of the law, many depts don't even abide by the guidance do you think that more challanges should be made, maybe someone from BASC would like to comment as well
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Most people cant afford to appeal a decision, its a situation where even if you win you lose financial, the police are not liable for any court costs, win or lose!!

Ian.

Not true the judge can award cost as one recently awarded over £12,000 in costs to a successful appeal against a firearms dept, & don't we pay BASC membership for legal expenses cover for licensing appeals although their interest is limited depending on case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Most people cant afford to appeal a decision, its a situation where even if you win you lose financial, the police are not liable for any court costs, win or lose!!

Ian.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I believe the judge will only award costs against the police if the judge is of the opinion that their actions were completely unjustified, otherwise win or lose, they lie with the pursuer.

The answer is to get your case together BEFORE you apply, once it's been rejected you may as well try to get a woman to change her mind!!

never had a rejection due to presenting irrefutable cases for good reason

Then your lucky I'd say because I keep hearing man that have, there's a case going on I know of where 243 has been refused for fox, & the application was made within the guidelines & with all the nessasary requirements.
    I think often depts hedge their bets that you won't be able to afford to challange the decision, however you can still make formal complaints to heir professional standards dept, & if un satisfied escalate it further through that route, which costs you nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    The answer is to get your case together BEFORE you apply, once it's been rejected you may as well try to get a woman to change her mind!!

never had a rejection due to presenting irrefutable cases for good reason

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    Then your lucky I'd say because I keep hearing man that have, there's a case going on I know of where 243 has been refused for fox, & the application was made within the guidelines & with all the necessary requirements.
    I think often depts hedge their bets that you won't be able to afford to challenge the decision, however you can still make formal complaints to heir professional standards dept, & if un satisfied escalate it further through that route, which costs you nothing.

Well I can see if the FEO is a ***** or just doesn't like you but i still maintain if you cover all the angles and answer all the questions BEFORE they are asked they have no reason to say no

.243 for fox is a relatively straightforward one
    put the onus of the humane kill on the Police IN THE APPLICATION.

"I need a .243 as the distances, terrain and wind in the areas I shoot require a faster, flatter, heavier bullet for a humane kill and I am concerned about losing wounded foxes as a result of only having a .223"
    "The .243 is a popular varmint round in both the UK and US and is catered for with a wide variety of highly frangible bullets that fracture on impact making them extremely safe and presenting limited ricochet and onward travel scenarios"
    "The .243 presents no more or less of a safety challenge than a ,223 and all the usual backstop and shot qualification decisions still need to be made"

when that bit in bold comes up at trial for causing unnecessary wounding I would like to see a Chief Constable squirm!!

You have one police service in Scotland in England & Wales there are about a dozen or more & none of them sing from the same hyme sheet lol, I'm lucky although I know of many with nonsense going on that should not be allowed yet we as shooters continually put up with it I'm many cases, it wouldn't happen in any other occupation/hobby

The trouble with that is as the other thread on percentancy showed, 87% wont/cant be bothered because they have not or never encountered any trouble with his/her departments, mine as finally been resolved because i threatened a formal complaint and also mentioned the person by name,thank god,,,,,,but im afraid we as shooters dont use the same sheet either,
    DONT START

Another one of those threads that makes me thank my stars for North Wales Police!
    My FAC always seems to come back with more than I asked for, not less!