Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NV Spotter

NV Spotter

Sorry if this has been done before, but technology move quickly, my mate has just bought a Drone pro and is looking for a spotter, what is out there worth having for under 1000, cheers

Well it is the piece of string question. What range. Does he want a handheld with screen or an eyepiece? What's he looking to shoot out of interest?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Pulsar Recon X870 - not cheap but has an OLED display for a better quality image
    Pulsar Recon 870 - 300 and uses the same sensor as the X870 but the display is not as good
    The built in illuminator in both of the above is crap - an external illuminator will be needed for any sort of range
    Sure 24 NVWG50 6x50 monocular - 5MP sensor with digital zoom and a good built in LED illuminator
    SURE NVWG50 Digital Night Vision 6 x 50 Monocular - DIY Night Vision - Solutions - SURE24
    Use the code MONO20 and get 20% off which brings it down to 159 plus VAT
    The quality of the image is, IMHO, better than the Recon 870
    This monocular is far and away the best bang for your buck available at the moment

Cheers

Bruce

ive often wondered what armasights dc prime spotter would be like

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
    Sorry if this has been done before, but technology move quickly, my mate has just bought a Drone pro and is looking for a spotter, what is out there worth having for under 1000, cheers
    You can`t beat Thermal for spotting and an NV sight on the rifle , a new thermal monocular is outside your budget but a used one may be getting close.Cheap digital hand helds are a waste of time if they are not at least as good as your scope or you may as well scan / spot with your scope.
    Last edited by TikkaFan; 17-01-2016 at 18:17.

i see what your saying tikkafan but isnt just seeing eye shine with a spotter going to be enough, the same way in which you would spot eyes with a lamp giving you a good idea at what it is and then you move over to your scope for the final identification?

a grand?!

I use a 5x50 Bresser digital I picked up for 90
    picks up eye shine and bodies out past 4-500yds in clear nights

rabbits and foxes show up black against the grey and the eyes show up really well inside 300yds
    an extra IR source doubles that

takes a bit of getting used to with the black and white image, the objective and occular also focus so I have taped them to avoid losing image on the night

as it is a spotter I don't need any Gen 3 image

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    i see what your saying tikkafan but isnt just seeing eye shine with a spotter going to be enough, the same way in which you would spot eyes with a lamp giving you a good idea at what it is and then you move over to your scope for the final identification?
    You only get eyshine with a spotter when at least one of the foxes eyes reflect light from the illuminator. If the fox has it's backside to you then it's very difficult to see.
    With a thermal spotter, the fox is detected by the heat radiating from it so it can be detected in any position. Having said that, final identification with a thermal is often dependent on seeing the animal move and recognising how it moves

Cheers

Bruce

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    You only get eyshine with a spotter when at least one of the foxes eyes reflect light from the illuminator. If the fox has it's backside to you then it's very difficult to see.
    With a thermal spotter, the fox is detected by the heat radiating from it so it can be detected in any position. Having said that, final identification with a thermal is often dependent on seeing the animal move and recognising how it moves

Cheers

Bruce
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    My cheap digital shows up animals much darker than the surrounding as they reflect/absorb IR in a totally different way to buildings and grass.
    Movement is the most obvious to pick up but the contrast is the first thing I notice

looks like this:

the contrast between grass and vegetation compared to fur