Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle for Scotland

Rifle for Scotland

Hi guys
    I'm looking to book a week starting in Scotland for my 40th.
    What calibre rifle would you suggest? I have a .243 at the moment but I'm sure a bigger cal would be better off up there!
    Any comments I will appreciate.
    Regards Dan

Hi Dan, I have stalked reds in Scotland on 3 occasions Stags and Hinds. I use 30-06 or 270. However my son and my hunting buddy both use 243 and everything they shot dropped no different to mine. in fact my mate shot a hind at 300 yrds with 243 stone dead. My son shoots upwards of 100 dear a year from Roe to Reds all with 243.
    In my opinion 243 a very underrated cal.
    Tusker.

There are some that don't like it but as a pro Highland stalker .243 was my weapon of choice.

I was under the impression that a lot of land in Scotland had to be a certain cal rifle. Is this not true?

Not to knowledge ,
    If going with an estate or guide then email / phone check as some won't allow but others will ..

Paul

If you are looking at private estates there are one or two that may not be happy with .;243 but not many.

Can you recommend an estate to go with? I'm happy with roe or red. It's just a different environment to where I shoot!

I presume you are talking reds if that is the case and you decide to user .243 in Scotland you need to use a minimum 100 grain bullet.

Scottish legislation is all about bullet weight, velocity and energy.

Roe - a bullet designed to deform on impact in a predetermined manner of not less than 50g with a muzzle velocity of not less than 2450 ft/sec and a muzzle energy of not less than 1000 ft/lb

Other deer species (effectively fallow, sika and reds) a bullet designed to deform on impact in a predetermined manner of not less than 100g with a muzzle velocity of not less than 2450 ft/sec and a muzzle energy of not less than 1750 ft/lb

This has an effective limit of calibres but calibres are not mentioned in legislation.

Many shoot Reds with a .243 although some estates will have a requirement for a larger calibre. Ask when you book you stalking

Lots of choice regarding estates,all of whom will act professiionally and I don't feel I could recommend one over an other, others who provide stalking? There are few that advertise on here and you can read plenty reports from happy clients.