Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beam Scales

Beam Scales

Hi All,
    got a bit of money for Xmas and fancy getting some new beam scales to replace my lee ones and digital ones.
    what would you recommend, i have about 100 to play with.
    was looking at the lyman 1000, hornady, or rcbs 502 or 505 scales.
    atb Matt
    Last edited by Shadrach2986; 17-01-2016 at 10:33.

RCBS 5-0-5 or 5-0-2 would be my first choice You should be able to get a "slightly used" set for under 60, they do come up fairly often.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

I use a set of Ohaus scales accurised by scott parker in the states, superbly accurate and reliable.. , you can contact scott at vld223@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach2986 View Post
    Hi All,
    got a bit of money for Xmas and fancy getting some new beam scales to replace my lee ones and digital ones.
    what would you recommend, i have about 100 to play with.
    was looking at the lyman 1000, hornady, or rcbs 502 or 505 scales.
    atb Matt
    got some Dillon scales from optics warehouse, around the 100 mark, they are made by ohaus and are practically the same as the RCBS 505's, certainly worth a look.

SD Regular
    All of them all weight to about the same accuracy. No difference. So the question then becomes solely which TO YOUR METHOD OF WORKING is the most "user friendly".

I have owned and used a set of RCBS basic, I think they were 5-0-2 scales but ended up with the tall balance scale 304 that they once listed. I got it reduced from John Longstaff when I was at Leeds University in the late 1970s for about sixty quid.

Attachment 65530

But my desired scale would have been the one with the plastic cover although, truth be told, it was just as easy to dissamble the 5-0-2 and put it back into its box to keep it safe. But as to accuracy neither the 5-0-2 nor the 304 were more accurate than the other.

Bottom line of they are really Ohaus made then they will be good quality whoever has badged them.

I agree with the Ohaus quality assurance. I have a Dial o Grain beam scale that has been giving me sterling service for over 30 years. I also have the Ohaus-branded 505 in with the plastic case; both are equally accurate. I have a Bonanza (now owned by Forster) 'Blue Ribbon' scale that I acquired in a lot of used reloading gear I'd purchased and have found that this simple, circa-1980 beam scale is very accurate despite having been simply stored in a cardboard box in a shed for the last 10 years; equally accurate to the previously mentioned models. You can kill a good scale, but just lying dormant won't do it. A good blowing off of the dust on the pivots and a general cleaning up of the beams usually has them up to speed. My general rule for buying a used scale is that if it appears undamaged and zeroes, it it probably good. I will bring along a bullet and weigh it five times on the zeroed scale. If the weight comes out inside a tenth of a grain each time, it's probably fine**. Certainly good enough for reloading purposes.~Muir

(** Just don't discount a 2nd hand scale because the bullet you weigh on the zeroed scale weighs, say, 178.5 grains instead of 180. Hunting bullets are often not exactly the weight they say they are! As long as it weighs the same every time, you are good. I had a friend pass on a very good deal on an Ohaus 10-10 because his 165 grain Hornady Interlock weighed 163.8 grain 10 times in a row!!)

I passed on a dial-o-grain a few years ago only because i operate my trickler with my right hand and the ohaus is the wrong orientation for this, as such i use a RCBS 10-10.

Ian.

It's horror stories like this that have kept me from weighing every charge.
    Too bad, they are great scales.~Muir

I use RCBS 304 Scales, with a Target Master, cheap web cam and laptop.

Works a treat and never loses zero - I "borrow" certificated calibration check weights from work to check them once a month and they've never needed adjustment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160117_007.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	65547

SD Regular
    I passed on a dial-o-grain a few years ago only because i operate my trickler with my right hand and the ohaus is the wrong orientation for this.
    It's a bot "okkard" 'tis true. But my RCBS trickler if I use it sits on the drop down baize covered platform on my 304. But I find it quivker to "tap" those extra kernels into the pan by hand from a yellow Lee Popeye pipe powder measure.