Old habits die hard !

Cascade

UP at 4:15am, left the house at 5:00am travelled 137 miles arrived at my pals at 7:50am, on the ground for 8:00am

Absolutely cracking morning for stalking, a good covering of new soft snow it just felt great to be out and I felt really privileged to be there

I managed to take this magnificent animal along with a younger buck, I did the necessary, we had some Pork Pie + English mustard, with a cup of rather nicely spiced up tomato soup, we put the world to rights and at 11:30am I set off to drive back home the 137 miles, I was laid in the bath knackered at 2:45 pm and that's including 20 mins I spent at the car wash

View attachment 65566View attachment 65563View attachment 65564View attachment 65565

What do you think, was it worth it ?

Bob

Well done Bob,worth every bit os sleep loss. I do enjoy early Sunday stalks,passing the clubbers on their way home etc!

Very nice, well done, I had a munti doe this morning, but I don't think its quite the same and only traveled 34 miles each way for her!

I think your pain was worth the gain!

YES, Just reward for a hard day Bob, very nice animals. We don't have them up north,those tusks could do damage.
I can't imagine driving that far for an early morning stalk, there's dedication for you.
I hope you had a nice cup of tea when you got home.:D

Conngratulations, and it must be great, stalking in snow like that. There have been precious few properly cold days down here this year. We had a centimetre of snow yesterday morning for an hour or two, and it will be warm again by the end of the week. That was winter, folks!

Just based on the CWD skull that I have on the little corner of wall that I've been given, I'd say your bigger one is well worth having measured! More to the point though, they're very good eating, those. Google "Blanquette d'hydropote a l'ancienne" for my recommendation...

Up at 4.15am! I can remember when we were only getting home around then.

Boggy

And we did that a fair few times for a good number of years, you, me and Ian McPhee

Pine Martin

I see you have done this before looks marvellous I will most certainly give it a try though I`ll be surprised if it looks anything like the pics from your past post but, we`ll see thanks for the recipe and I`ll let you know how I get on

Bob

Well done looks like you had an amazing day great pics :tiphat: , CWD and a Munty are on the bucket list one of these days I will get darn south and try for one

Well done my friend,as they say they are good eating. Only ever shot one,a nice silver but I don't want to shoot another!! Did you get the big cloud of hair when you fired? I did,I thought it had exploded. It was an experience but as I say one was enough, no thrill to it,must be getting old. Much prefer stalking sika hinds in the Borders,but then that's now a very long haul for me.
You could have stayed here instead of racing home mate, do so next time round.

Well done my friend,as they say they are good eating. Only ever shot one,a nice silver but I don't want to shoot another!! Did you get the big cloud of hair when you fired? I did,I thought it had exploded. It was an experience but as I say one was enough, no thrill to it,must be getting old. Much prefer stalking sika hinds in the Borders,but then that's now a very long haul for me.
You could have stayed here instead of racing home mate, do so next time round.

Thanks for the kind offer G. but I had to get back I started my week of nights at 8.00pm so had to get a couple of hours shut eye before I left for the big hotel

Bob

Please let me know how it goes, and if you like it, tell BASC: Blanquette d’hydropote a l’ancienne | Taste of Game !

I had a look at that and it looks just the thing in front of a roaring fire, but basically you cook it with a bit of pork and then remove the pork before serving?! Reminds me of the old recipe for cooking moorhen...put a brick in the oven and get it good and hot, put the plucked and drawn moorhen on the brick and roast until just pink. Remove from the oven and put in a warm place to rest. When ready, discard the moorhen and eat the brick.

It's just because the venison is so lean that you need to add some fat, some really fatty pork belly, or even a big piece of fatty skin. There's no reason why you wouldn't eat the pork too apart from the fact that it's a "blanquette d'hydropote" and not a "blanquette de porc". Usually it's made with veal and you use a mix of cuts specifically to add some fat in there.

very well done after a long drive you must have been very happy .good teeth i shot one last week like that but my one was just a but smaller .i was out in that snow i love hunting in the snow looking at whats been about .

Cracking Result Bob, you've now got a nearly matching pair.

In fact why not go for a shoulder mount it certainly is worth it, and would be a great addition to your trophy room.

Back