Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 6x45 excitement

6x45 excitement

I've finally accumulated all the hardware to build a little 6x45 (6mm-223). I'm really excited so thought I'd let you in on my ideas. I don't have a workshop at the moment but hopefully that will be resolved at some stage this year.

I liked the idea of a 6x47 based on the 222 Rem Mag but chose the 6x45 because of the better availability of .223 brass.

The rifle is a sako 75 A1 .222Rem. It will feel a bit wasteful to remove the barrel that shoots really well! The barrel blank is a 1:8 Pac Nor Cro-moly sporter profile. I would like to try shooting 70gr Matchkings (3100fps?) and 85gr Gamekings (2900fps? - I wonder if a large deer legal 3000 can be reached?) I'll also see how I get on with 95gr MK's or TMK's for fun. I can seat bullets to 2.360" COAL in the sako magazine.

Barrel blank measures 25" - I'm hoping for the finished barrel length to be 24" or maybe a bit less. I think I'll get the barrel cerakoted but am loathe to cerakote the action as the bluing has such a lovely deep lustre.

Also got the dies, floating pilot finishing reamer and go/ no go gauges.

Hope this is of interest to some of you. Any ideas or comments are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20160117_002.jpg   WP_20160117_001.jpg  
    Last edited by takbok; 18-01-2016 at 07:45. Reason: spelling

Nice build. You doing it yourself? It'll be an interesting little rifle and will be great for munty, CWD, and your roe. I don't think larger deer legal is doable though, those velocities you quoted seem quite optimistic as it is.

Genuinelly lovely walking about roe rifle like and built on a terrific action. Can't wait to see it done.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

takbok

The Berger manual has some 6 x 45mm data, however the velocities it's quoting are a bit slower than the ones you are quoting. I'm not sure that you are going to achieve anything more than the bare minimum for roe. Are your dies made to match your reamer or vice versa?

Have fun.

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Nice build. You doing it yourself? It'll be an interesting little rifle and will be great for munty, CWD, and your roe. I don't think larger deer legal is doable though, those velocities you quoted seem quite optimistic as it is.

Genuinelly lovely walking about roe rifle like and built on a terrific action. Can't wait to see it done.
    I hope to build it myself.

Should easily get 1500 ft.lb at least. There's a difference between reloading manuals and reality though - so well see what we get in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    takbok

The Berger manual has some 6 x 45mm data, however the velocities it's quoting are a bit slower than the ones you are quoting. I'm not sure that you are going to achieve anything more than the bare minimum for roe. Are your dies made to match your reamer or vice versa?

Have fun.

JCS
    The dies are just standard ones. I thought of getting a sizing reamer for making a die but it adds to the cost. I suppose I can still make a neck sizing die which takes neck bushings with the existing reamer.

The 70gr velocity is from Ramshot data. The 85gr is from US forums. We'll see what happens in reality.
    Last edited by takbok; 18-01-2016 at 07:46. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    The dies are just standard ones. I thought of getting a sizing reamer for making a die but it adds to the cost. ...
    I would be tempted to get a custom full length bushing die made from the fired brass. I've done that a couple of times and been very pleased.

Thanks JCS

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    I hope to build it myself.

Should easily get 1500 ft.lb at least. There's a difference between reloading manuals and reality though - so well see what we get in reality.
    I look forward to seeing it come together. I've got a project at the moment but I'm keeping the barrel so not as involved. The one after this will be similar to yours.

I hope that the forums are right then and you hit 1700 ft-lbs with the 85gr. I think hoping for 1750 ft-lbs with 100gr is unlikely mind so if it's large deer legal it'll be England and Wales only.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I look forward to seeing it come together. I've got a project at the moment but I'm keeping the barrel so not as involved. The one after this will be similar to yours.

I hope that the forums are right then and you hit 1700 ft-lbs with the 85gr. I think hoping for 1750 ft-lbs with 100gr is unlikely mind so if it's large deer legal it'll be England and Wales only.
    I think people are getting around 2500fps with 100gr so definitely only for roe in Scotland. The heavier bullets will also reduce case capacity by seating quite far into the case.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I would be tempted to get a custom full length bushing die made from the fired brass. I've done that a couple of times and been very pleased.

Thanks JCS
    I think that a fancy die like that would be wasted on me. I don't like to spend a lot of time on load development to the nth degree.

I think 2500 fps with 100gr is definitely achievable.