Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22WMR for occasional fox to 100 yards.

22WMR for occasional fox to 100 yards.

Guys,
    WMR for occasional fox to 100 yardsÖÖ. Whatís been your preferred ammo for down range performance on fox?

I donít want to go CF and I also donít want to return to HMR having seen so many ammo issues with them. But other than the shotgun I donít have anything for the occasional fox but am not likely to use it on anything else such as rabbits either!
    I have .22rf open slot on my license along with .17HMR so am thinking do away with the HMR slot and having the .22rf for a .22WMR.

ATB

Matt

It will all be minute of fox at 100yds but the best I've found is the 33g hornady v max
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

my WMR was my go to urban fox rifle for years
    Vmax wasnt available and the best results I had were with Remington Accutip 33gr

very accurate, touching holes at 100yds
    no idea how many I shot but will be in the hundreds, always body shots even on the close ones.
    Closest was 17yds! furtherts probably 110-120yds.

had a couple of foxes run through some cover but none made it more than 10-15 yards

its a lovely little round and worked a charm

only stopped using it as a I got a .222 and 10-15yds in some places is the difference between being dead on the 1st fairway and dead on someone's patio!

I picked up a Spanish Atlas combination gun in .22 wmr/20G with a scope mounted at Xmas for 100 Euros off egun and it shoots .22 one hole groups at 75 metres.
    Now I need to get my first fox with it.
    Martin
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	65576

Federal 30g Speer TNT - really does clobber them.

+1 for the Hornady V Max mentioned above - have shot out to 120yards and has done the job well - nasty (good) little varmint round
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

I have shot 35 pound coyote out to 70-80 yards with CCI 40 grain solids. I don't know how big your fox are but beware of trading off too much bullet weight in exchange for velocity if you have meat to punch through.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have shot 35 pound coyote out to 70-80 yards with CCI 40 grain solids. I don't know how big your fox are but beware of trading off too much bullet weight in exchange for velocity if you have meat to punch through.~Muir
    Smaller than a coyote.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    A 25lb fox would be quite a big one

Account Suspended
    .22WMR is an underrated round, + you can have a semi auto one.