Thread: No more babies PLEASE!

No more babies PLEASE!

I have put this in the "Off Topic" section as it isn't really a "Sporting Video"!
    As a hobby I keep a few tropical fish. I've had my aquarium for about a year now and among the various fish I keep in my main aquarium I have three Mollies - One Silver female, one black female and one black male. The silver female had a brood of young about three weeks before Christmas and then the black female had a brood about ten days later. I allow them to have their young in the main aquarium and "rescue" as many as possible before the other fish eat them, working on "the survival of the fittest" theory.
    I noticed that the black female had started having another brood yesterday evening and managed to "rescue" about 20 of the little devils - When young Mollies are born they are only about a quarter of an inch long and can swim straight away and it can be a devil of a job to catch them, they are like little turbo charged missiles when they see a net!
    A female Molly only has to mate with the male once and she can have up to 5 or 6 broods of young from that one mating so I knew that I was going to have to get a "Nursery Tank" for the young to save then from getting eaten by the other fish in the main aquarium so I bought a smaller tank, filter and heater etc to rear the young in.
    The tropical fish shop that I use will buy the young from me when they are large enough and that helps to pay for the food and maintenance of my aquariums.
    Here's a short video I filmed this morning showing the parents and then the young.

Been there and done that, when we got our mollies we asked for females only. We got a mixture, you know the rest. Male was removed. We lost all our fish a couple of years ago during a week long power cut.

We have just bought a tank and a few Mollies and other fish - it's a pleasure to watch and very relaxing, as everyone who's owned a tank says. Interesting to see the little ones and how prolific the mature fish are - we'll need to think of a solution for 'extras' like you have.

Quote Originally Posted by oager View Post
    We have just bought a tank and a few Mollies and other fish - it's a pleasure to watch and very relaxing, as everyone who's owned a tank says. Interesting to see the little ones and how prolific the mature fish are - we'll need to think of a solution for 'extras' like you have.
    I use a very good Tropical Fish Shop near to me (Only about two miles away) and they are very good. They will either buy the young from me for cash once they reach about one and a half inches long or give me a credit note for them which I can use for food and other equipment I might need/want. It may be worth having a word with your local aquatic shop to see if they would do a similar thing for you with your young (As and when you get any).
    I have to agree that it is very relaxing watching them, and it can become very addictive! If you watch them long and often enough you can see the different characteristics in the individual fish.
    I recently had to get rid of my Red Tail Shark (Not a true shark) as he had a real "attitude problem" and was getting a bit too big for his boots, especially at feeding time!

Ha ha, did this years ago mollies and guppies ended up with hundreds in a 5 foot tank. Solved the problem with a pair of red tiger oscars. They soon cleared all the small ones, then the adult guppies then the adult mollies, tiger barbs, gouramies, loach and everything else. Grew into 2 right monsters
    ILB

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveBambi View Post
    Ha ha, did this years ago mollies and guppies ended up with hundreds in a 5 foot tank. Solved the problem with a pair of red tiger oscars. They soon cleared all the small ones, then the adult guppies then the adult mollies, tiger barbs, gouramies, loach and everything else. Grew into 2 right monsters
    ILB
    Only a `LAME-BRAIN` or someone with NO kind thoughts for their pets would do such a thing.
    By keeping only males of the species this problem does not occur.
    Female Guppies are drab coloured beggars anyway and a tank full of males including Golden Guppies is a pleasure to own without having an unwanted population explosion.

H.W.H.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Only a `LAME-BRAIN` or someone with NO kind thoughts for their pets would do such a thing.
    By keeping only males of the species this problem does not occur.
    Female Guppies are drab coloured beggars anyway and a tank full of males including Golden Guppies is a pleasure to own without having an unwanted population explosion.

H.W.H.
    Get real, just like feeding live locust to reptiles, live mice/rats to snakes. Live bait fishing for pike etc, shooting rabbits, fox or deer. Well F. Me go hug a tree or something!

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveBambi View Post
    Get real, just like feeding live locust to reptiles, live mice/rats to snakes. Live bait fishing for pike etc, shooting rabbits, fox or deer. Well F. Me go hug a tree or something!
    You have lust proved that you are a vulgar slob in addition to being an inconsiderate one !

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    You have lust proved that you are a vulgar slob in addition to being an inconsiderate one !

HWH.
    You know nothing about me so based on what you have read above you are significantly unqualified to make that judgment.
    Unless mistaken I thought this was a hunting / shooting type forum where things may get hurt or God forbid killed now and again 😩

but feeding one pet to another is a bit like eating your old dog.