Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supplementary feeding of Roe Deer - trailcam photos

Supplementary feeding of Roe Deer - trailcam photos

Set up a feeding station (flaked maize & feed carrots spread out on ground) and trailcam on part of my lease to see the results. Roe now coming in regularly to the maize as per attached photographs. Doesn't look like they are touching the carrots.
    Will be interesting to see how busy it gets if and when the snow arrives this winter.
    Simon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0308.jpg   IMG_0229.jpg   IMG_0271.jpg  
    Last edited by DEEANDDON; 18-01-2016 at 16:32.

Interesting to see how this develops. Good luck.

'Camodog'.

Very nice quality on those pics.

What trail - cam are you using?

Steve.
    He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast. Shakespeare, King Lear.

Browning Recon Force HD - photo quality set at Ultra 10MP

Quote Originally Posted by DEEANDDON View Post
    Browning Recon Force HD - photo quality set at Ultra 10MP

Thank you.

Steve.
    He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast. Shakespeare, King Lear.

Just like the OP I have found that the roe deer on my permission do not want to know about carrots. However they seem to enjoy as many chopped up apples as I can afford to put out and are showing regularly at and around my feeding station.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Just like the OP I have found that the roe deer on my permission do not want to know about carrots. However they seem to enjoy as many chopped up apples as I can afford to put out and are showing regularly at and around my feeding station.
    Feed them your guppies

OK, playing a bit devils advocate here. Many land managers claim there are to many deer (and statistics indicate that UK deer numbers have increased greatly in recent years) but many stalkers, keepers and deer managers say the numbers are not there. If you need to give deer supplementary feed is that not an indication that there are more deer that the area can naturally support?

Quote Originally Posted by slider View Post
    OK, playing a bit devils advocate here. Many land managers claim there are to many deer (and statistics indicate that UK deer numbers have increased greatly in recent years) but many stalkers, keepers and deer managers say the numbers are not there. If you need to give deer supplementary feed is that not an indication that there are more deer that the area can naturally support?
    Those deer look in good enough condition to me. The more deer he has the better for his stalking business - he certainly doesn't have to feed them in the condition that they're in.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Those deer look in good enough condition to me. The more deer he has the better for his stalking business - he certainly doesn't have to feed them in the condition that they're in.
    That's my point - if they are in good nick then why feed - except to encourage more deer - but then is the most basic point of deer stalking not to control numbers to level that the environment can sustain and therefore restrict damage to farmer, foresters etc? Are we about doing that or about cultivating deer numbers for the purposes of then culling them?