Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun fitting

Shotgun fitting

I'm planning on buying my first shotgun in the near future.

I keep hearing that it is imperative to get a good fit. I would prefer to buy privately 2nd hand if possible, as not sure just how much I will use it. How much variation is there on "fit" as surely it could mean viewing a few guns before finding one that is a good fit, as opposed to going to a gunshop and trying what they have

Any advice welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeydredd View Post
    I'm planning on buying my first shotgun in the near future.

I keep hearing that it is imperative to get a good fit. I would prefer to buy privately 2nd hand if possible, as not sure just how much I will use it. How much variation is there on "fit" as surely it could mean viewing a few guns before finding one that is a good fit, as opposed to going to a gunshop and trying what they have

Any advice welcome.

Or or you could visit a gunshop and try a few then buy second hand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    Or or you could visit a gunshop and try a few then buy second hand ?
    So if say a Silver Pigeon was a perfect fit in a shop, is the same model gun always the same fit?

If it's the same make and model , with no customisation , I would say so. I am sure someone will give you a definitive answer on here

Better go to a clay ground with folk who'll let you actually shoot various makes of gun, see which ones you get on best with.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeydredd View Post
    So if say a Silver Pigeon was a perfect fit in a shop, is the same model gun always the same fit?
    Presumably you're trying a brand new gun in the shop? If so, then a secondhand gun of the same model and same configuration may still not fit if the previous owner has adjusted it in any way - length of stock, drop, cast, etc. If they've left it un-modified from when it left Beretta's factory then you at least have the same raw dimensions to work on.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks Willie

Mikey,

unfortunately, there are very few gun shops, or anyone you will find at a clay ground who will have more than just the basic idea on gun fit. Gun fit has to accommodate both individual shape/build and shooting style by which I mean how you position yourself during the shot. Everyone has a natural stance and the gun fit ideally suits this position. If you can, find someone who understands the principle of gun fit and technique before you go down the route of buying a gun that may not suit both these fundamentals. A gun cannot be fitted to someone who doesn't know how to mount it properly or who is not aware of how they intend to shoot it.

MD

You really need to go to a proper shooting school and ask to be measured using their 'try gun' which is basically an articulated gun that can be altered to suit. They will then give you your 'measurements' and you can then ask a gunsmith to alter any shotgun you acquire to those specifications. Not cheap but worth it in the long run.

F

Cheers

I'm a complete newbie to shotguns, shot a few clays at a charity day 15 years ago, that's it.

Just don't want to jump in blind at balls it up!