Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Venison pudding

  1. #1

    Venison pudding

    Had a venison suet pudding this weekend, made from fallow shanks long and slow cooked. Superb with a bit of hot horseradish. Can't beat it

  2. #2
    Can you post the recipe please - this sounds worth a go.

  3. #3
    Sounds like an awesome winter dish. Shanks are the best cut!
    I never make the same mistake twice.

    I make it five or six times.

    Just to be sure.


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Can you post the recipe please - this sounds worth a go.
    id have to.ask the boss but I think she just did her own thing. Basically she cooked the boned shanks in a casserole style with onions carrots beef stock and seasoning for a couple of hours in bottom oven of aga.
    She let this cool, and made a suet pudding using beef suet mix , atora or similar, and filled the pudding in a bowl with the casserole mixture . In fact she used half and kept half for another day, which we just had recently. But anyway that was it. Steamed it for a couple of hours, just enough to cook the suet coz the mixture is already cooked. Some recipes use raw meat and take along time as a result.
    main decision was which red wine to serve with it!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    id have to.ask the boss but I think she just did her own thing. Basically she cooked the boned shanks in a casserole style with onions carrots beef stock and seasoning for a couple of hours in bottom oven of aga.
    She let this cool, and made a suet pudding using beef suet mix , atora or similar, and filled the pudding in a bowl with the casserole mixture . In fact she used half and kept half for another day, which we just had recently. But anyway that was it. Steamed it for a couple of hours, just enough to cook the suet coz the mixture is already cooked. Some recipes use raw meat and take along time as a result.
    main decision was which red wine to serve with it!
    yah, that sounds like a lovely meal. I made a steamed venison pudding for my girlfriends friends last year and it was super. I used diced fallow shoulder. Fried the meat in a big Le crusset casserole pan in some duck fat with a bit of back bacon and added some well fried and browned off onions then carrots celery sweed etc .... a bit of garlic and then worked in some plain flour and popped in a load of ale to make the sauce. I stirred in some thyme and then a bit of red currant jelly to take away the bitterness of the beer.
    I then cooked it in the electric fan oven on 150 deg c for 2 hrs. After 2 hrs I finished the stew off with some do double cream and seasoned it to taste with salt and pepper.
    I made a suet pastry and lined a pudding basin and made a lid for it. Filled it up and then wrapped it in a load of foil and baking paper and then put it in a shallow pan of boiling water with a lid on it and steamed it for about 2 hrs.
    I served it with mashed potato and peas.
    I think I might make this again this weekend, I feel hungry now

    kind regards, Olaf

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    yah, that sounds like a lovely meal. I made a steamed venison pudding for my girlfriends friends last year and it was super. I used diced fallow shoulder. Fried the meat in a big Le crusset casserole pan in some duck fat with a bit of back bacon and added some well fried and browned off onions then carrots celery sweed etc .... a bit of garlic and then worked in some plain flour and popped in a load of ale to make the sauce. I stirred in some thyme and then a bit of red currant jelly to take away the bitterness of the beer.
    I then cooked it in the electric fan oven on 150 deg c for 2 hrs. After 2 hrs I finished the stew off with some do double cream and seasoned it to taste with salt and pepper.
    I made a suet pastry and lined a pudding basin and made a lid for it. Filled it up and then wrapped it in a load of foil and baking paper and then put it in a shallow pan of boiling water with a lid on it and steamed it for about 2 hrs.
    I served it with mashed potato and peas.
    I think I might make this again this weekend, I feel hungry now

    kind regards, Olaf
    that sounds absolutely perfect! Just something about a suet pudding that hits the spot.

  7. #7
    Sluuuuuuuuuuurp. Sounds amazing!

Similar Threads

  1. Venison pudding
    By biffo in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 20:28
  2. ...a second helping of Christmas pudding
    By photopro in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 00:13
  3. Recipe for Christmas Pudding.
    By squirrelnutkin in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-11-2011, 17:32
  4. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!!
    By Dan Gliballs in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 11:54
  5. plum pudding liver
    By pitiliedon in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 11:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •